[comp.sources.wanted] script for SYS V

pete@tutor.UUCP (Peter Schmitt) (10/20/88)

Is there a System V version of script available from somewhere?

--
           \\\!///		Peter Schmitt
            _   _ 		UUCP: decwrl!tsc.dnet!tutor!pete

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (02/07/89)

Is there a SysV version of script available?  If so, could someone
please mail a copy or point me to an archive site that carries it?  Thanks.
Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (02/10/89)

[ Followups to comp.sources.d ]

According to pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg):
>Is there a SysV version of script available?

For those of you who don't know what script is:  A script program records
the screen output of an interactive session into a file.

I've just sent my System V script program to Rich Salz for distribution in
comp.sources.unix.  If you absolutely can't wait, mail me at an address in
my signature, and I'll mail a copy.

By the way:  You'll need ptys (pseudo-ttys) to use my version of script.  If
you don't have ptys, find the public-domain pty device driver; that's what I
use.

The reason why this is cross-posted to comp.unix.xenix:  Users SCO Xenix/386
2.3, you already have ptys, albeit undocumented.  So my script program will
work on your system.
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!

gag@chinet.chi.il.us (Gregory A. Gulik) (04/27/89)

Does anyone have source for a 'script' like program for
SYS V?  I've seen it on BSD systems, but I can't
find the equivalent on SYS V.

Thanks,

greg

--
Gregory A. Gulik
gag@chinet.chi.il.us

wolfordj@ihlpy.ATT.COM (452is-Wolford) (05/02/89)

From article <8311@chinet.chi.il.us>, by gag@chinet.chi.il.us (Gregory A. Gulik):
> Does anyone have source for a 'script' like program for
> SYS V?  I've seen it on BSD systems, but I can't
> find the equivalent on SYS V.
>
> Thanks,
>
> greg
>

> --
> Gregory A. Gulik
> gag@chinet.chi.il.us
> -or-
> gulik@depaul.edu

The easiest was is to do a "tee | sh prog | tee" with some options
here is what I use:

tee -i -a file.log | sh prog | tee -i -a file.log

the -i causes interrupts to be ignored, end tee with a ^D and the
-a says to append to the log file.

The first tee makes a copy of standard in and passes it along as
input to prog, the second tee takes the output, makes a copy and
sends it to std out (usualy the terminal).  The "sh prog" is if the
prog needs to run under a different shell than you are currently
running.  If the current shell you are running is ok, then
skip the "sh" part of the "sh prog".

This will work in UN*X System V Release 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2.

As always, questions send mail to:

Jeff Wolford
att!iwsag!jww
att!ihlpy!wolfordj

harvard-+

ucbvax--+---- att --+ iwsag!jww

decvax--+

>> Does anyone have source for a 'script' like program for
>> SYS V?
>
>The easiest was is to do a "tee | sh prog | tee" with some options

As long as you don't care if you can run "full-screen" programs (e.g.,
screen editors such as "vi" or EMACS) under it and have them work
normally.  The nice thing about "script" is that it uses pseudo-ttys,
which most programs that care about ttys can't tell from real ttys;
therefore, they act just as they do when run from a "real" terminal.

Many of the times I've used "script" I've done so because I wanted to
track down a bug in the display management portion of a full-screen
program, so the fact that those programs work under "script" was very
important.

Unfortunately, vanilla S5 doesn't have pseudo-ttys (with the possible
exception of S5R3.2, and the future exception of S5R4 - the latter
should have "script" as a standard component), so you're stuck with
pipes.

lmb@beta.lanl.gov (Larry Barrick) (05/03/89)

In article <1536@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>> Does anyone have source for a 'script' like program for
>>> SYS V?
>Unfortunately, vanilla S5 doesn't have pseudo-ttys (with the possible

Sources for ptys for S5 and for script were recently posted to the net.  I
successfully fitted these to an SCO Xenix system running on a 286 with no
mods required.  E-mail me at lmb@beta.lanl.gov if you want the shell archives.
                                   Regards,
                                   LARBAR  lmb@beta.lanl.gov

bink@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Ubben Greg) (05/06/89)

Here is a slightly more detailed version of Mr. Wolford's idea for simulating
the BSD "script" command on System V Unix.  It mimics the real script command
better, though it still doesn't solve the problem with tty-oriented applica-
tions.  Might be useful for producing examples for users manuals...
As Mr. Barrick says, do it the right way and get the PD pseudo-tty code.

	script() {
		set -- ${1:-typescript}
		echo "Script started, file is $1"
		echo "Script started on `date`" >$1
		tee -a -i $1 | ${SHELL:-sh} -i 2>&1 | tee -a -i $1
		echo "Script done on `date`" >>$1
		echo "Script done, file is $1"
	}

						-- Greg Ubben