[comp.sources.wanted] "Find CPU Hog" source code needed

charlie@ureka.UUCP (charlie crassi) (05/10/89)

Subject: CPU Hog Code

A while back I remember someone posting a set of scripts to look at who
was hogging disk space on your system. I have that Source.

What I need is a script or "C" program that looks at the processes
running in a multiuser environment and identifies which processes are
"hogging" CPU time.

I have a multiuser system that will NOT support the activities it needs
to. Actually we have purchased 11 systems and need to balance the load
activity on each machine. There are some custom coded routines that I
suspect are CPU hogs that our team did not write, and we do not have the
luxury of freely modifying. I need to identify the HOGS and force the
authors to clean up the implementation. I at least need to be able to
move them to another machine on the highway.

Does anyone have such a piece of code already running that they could
post to the network or email me directly please ? I don't want to have
to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to. I know that VMS has such an
animal so certainly u-ix should be able to do it at least as easily,
but preferably better ! It will have to run on Bourne or csh shell.

Please post or email directly to: rutgers!rochester!kodak!ureka!charlie
--
thanks in advance .... charlie

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (05/11/89)

In article <124@ureka.UUCP>, charlie@ureka.UUCP (charlie crassi) writes:
> Subject: CPU Hog Code
>
> What I need is a script or "C" program that looks at the processes
> running in a multiuser environment and identifies which processes are
> "hogging" CPU time.

Try top_s375 (2 parts) in volume 10 of comp.sources.unix.

 Thos Sumner       (thos@cca.ucsf.edu)   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca
 (The I.G.)        (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos)

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704

OS|2 -- an Operating System for puppets.

#include <disclaimer.std>