[comp.sources.wanted] dynamic linker wanted

dahl@orion.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Peter Dahl) (05/24/89)

I am looking for the source to a dynamic linker compatible with standard
object and a.out formats.  It has to generate a symbol table that includes
ALL global objects and subroutine names, not just the unresolved ones.  It
will be used in a C environment so C is preferred.

peter dahl, dahl@src.honeywell.com
The work ethic is for those who don't know about windsurfing.

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (05/25/89)

In article <22450@srcsip.UUCP> dahl@src.honeywell.com writes:
>I am looking for the source to a dynamic linker compatible with standard
>object and a.out formats.  It has to generate a symbol table that includes

You're saying that you want it compatible with BSD a.out's, COFF,
and XENIX OMF, all at the same time?

Or do you require VMS executable format compatibility, too?

What about CP/M?

Hey, if anybody's got one of these, *I'd* like to see it, too.

As for it generating a full symbol table including resolved symbols,
be aware that 1) locally resolved symbols are usually stripped out of
the .o's before the linker ever sees them, and 2) if you want those
symbols for the sake of debugging, then usually these are kept in
debugger information records, not in the primary symbol table.

All in all it'd help if you could be a little less *vague* about what
you need. Failing that, try the Andrew toolkit dynamic loader, hacked
to make you happy.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

"Welcome to Mars; now go home!" (Seen on a bumper sticker off Phobos)