[comp.sources.wanted] Available archive server program for UN*X

bownesrm@beowulf.UUCP (Mr Mojo Risen') (05/29/89)

From article <7963@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM>, by mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)):
> In article <199691@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
>
>>I am an archive site for the Phoenix area, but wish to set up an archive
>>server though email. Is there a program already for this purpose out there?
>>I would like to use the same format that uunet uses. Such as:
>
> 	I'd like to know what's available and where as well.  I have
> a small archive in operation but I'm not on the internet and my system
> does not allow anon uucp.  Reasonable restricted email is the only viable
> alternative.  I have set up special UUCP links on request but they are a
> problem.

	Mike and others have discussed varoius archive servers......

	I have sent the snarf archive server to comp.sources.unix and we
	should all then see it someday....But in the meantime, here is a copy
	of the man/install page and the help/useage files. If you *really* need
	a copy, it is available via snarfing at snarf-6000@beowulf.uucp.

	Bob Bownes

------------------------------ HELP PAGE --------------------------------

How to use the Program Archive at Beowulf

Bob Bownes (bownesrm@beowulf.uucp) 1/17/89

    An automatic mail forwarder is used to retrieve archived materials
    from the "beowulf" system.  To use it, follow these simple directions.

	1) Send message to "snarf-32k@beowulf.uucp" or "beowulf!snarf-32k" or
	"snarf-6000@beowulf.uucp" or "beowulf!snarf-6000" depending on the
	archive you want. Snarf-6000 is the Tandy 6000 archives, and snarf-32k
	is the USENET 32k-project archives.

	2) For a Subject, use only the word "snarf"

	3) For the body of the message, use the following commands, each
	   starting in the 1st column:

		snarf index

			This returns an up-to-date index of what files
			are available

		snarf directory <dir>

			This gives a current listing of the files available
			in directory <dir> (i.e, "Games", "Editors", etc.)

		snarf files <file> [<file> ...]

			This command requests selected files be sent by
			return mail to the sender of the message.  All files
			should be specified relative to a directory, and
			wild-card character expansion is allowed.

			Example:
				snarf files Games/larn* Mail/ease*

    Requested files / info will be sent using the "From_" header field,
    so this must be syntactically correct (some mailers insert domains
    in this field, which is incorrect!).

    Any problems, questions or comments should be mailed to me.

				Bob Bownes	- 	bownesrm@beowulf.uucp

	Much thanks is due to Tim Northrup @ brspyr1 who wrote the first version
of this and supplied it to me. I converted it for use on systems without
.forward capability and rewrote it in C.

---------------------------------- README file --------------------------------

	README:						01/17/1989
	-------

	This is the collection of programs to allow you to supply archived
material to others by e-mail requests. It has been written with quick and
simplicity in mind. I'm not terribly fond of the quality of the code I've
written this morning, but it does function.

	Basically, it works as follows:

		A user (user@hishost) sends mail to snarf@yourhost. This mail is
passed through a filter (snarf.c) which extracts commands from the input
and acts on them. Files or indexes or directories are then returned to
user@hishost via e-mail. What could be simpler? Each requested file is given
its own mail message to avoid the 64K message length limit that exists at some
sites. This length is enforced by the administrator who wraps the files and
places them in the archive.

	The commands:

		There are 4 understood commands, help, dir, index, and files.
Each returns to the user some information that he has requested. Files
returns the files requested from the archive, index returns a list of all the
files contained in the archive, dir returns a directory of the files in the
archive, and help returns a help sheet. The use of these commands is explained
in snarf.help.

	Installing snarf:

		First, edit snarf.h and snarf.help. These two files contain
who to contact for help and information about where certain files like the
logfile live. Edit them to suit and then type 'make all'. This should make
snarf and mkindex. You may also want to tweak the location of the binaries
and helpfiles in the makefile. After it compiles, 'make install' should
put everything in its place and then read you the list of things I was too
lazy to create shell scripts for. Create a mail alias for snarf, set up
your archive directory, and add an entry to crontab.

	What to do if it doesn't work:

		Let me know and I'll try to help you solve your problem.
E-mail is best, but by phone is also OK.

	What to do if you don't like my code:

		I don't like it either, write your own....;=]
If, however, you have improvements, by all means, send them along.

	Things to be done:

		Write real man pages.
		Fix BUGS.
		Throw out and rewrite.

	Copyright:

		This is copyrighted, but the only restriction I place on
redistribution is that you leave my name and notices intact. Add, distribute,
whatever to your heart's content. Send me all the good changes however....

	Best of luck,
			bob
			bownesrm@beowulf.uucp,
			{uunet!crdgw1,leah.albany.edu}!beowulf!bownesrm

--
"Reading legal mush can turn your brain to guacamole"
Bob Bownes, aka iii, aka captain comrade doktor bobwrench