[comp.sources.wanted] Unix-based BBS info needed

mab@j.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Brown) (05/31/89)

We run a PC-based Opus BBS to provide file up/download and
communications services for our user community.  I'm looking into
moving the BBS services to a Unix host (probably Sequent Symmetry), to
provide:
  - better connectivity
  - more simultaneous access
  - access to Usenet newsgroups
  - access to Unix ftp directories
  - less duplication of Unix vs PC file maintenance activities

I'm aware of three possibilities:
  - UNaXcess (what's the latest and greatest version?)
  - anything in the MIT Athena stuff?
  - anything in the CMU Andrew stuff?

I'd appreciate getting info on these, or any other alternatives.
Will post a summary in a few weeks of email responses, subject to
respondents' "don't post this" requests.

Mike Brown, Network Systems Programmer		ARPANET: mab@cc.purdue.edu
Purdue University Computing Center		BITNET:  xmab@purccvm
Mathematical Sciences Building			PHONE:   (317) 494-1787
West Lafayette, IN 47907
--

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (06/01/89)

In article <9530@j.cc.purdue.edu> mab@j.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Brown) writes:
>We run a PC-based Opus BBS to provide file up/download and
>communications services for our user community.  I'm looking into
>moving the BBS services to a Unix host (probably Sequent Symmetry)
[...]
>I'm aware of three possibilities:
>  - UNaXcess (what's the latest and greatest version?)
>  - anything in the MIT Athena stuff?
>  - anything in the CMU Andrew stuff?

[...]

XBBS is available in the public domain and runs under UNIX/Xenix.  XBBS
supports most everything that Opus does (unlike UNaXcess), and is
openended so that you can even run shell scripts as adittional features
of the BBS.

You'll always find the latest version in /usr/spool/uucppublic/ALLbbs.tar.Z
available for anonymous uucp transfer on conexch.  If you'd like to
experience a session on XBBS, call the number in the .signature and login
as bbs.  If you want to see how it is setup, login as guest, and look at
the directory tree below /bbs/bbs.

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)