[comp.sources.wanted] Object-oriented language

ping@hub.toronto.edu (Ping Lin) (06/05/89)

Does anyone know if there are any interpreters (or compilers) for an
object-oriented language on the net or in public domain?  A friend
of mine, who doesn't have access to the net, would like to experiment
with object-oriented programming to see if it is suitable for the
project that she is working on.

darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (06/07/89)

In comp.sources.wanted, ping@hub.toronto.edu (Ping Lin) writes:

> Does anyone know if there are any interpreters (or compilers) for an
> object-oriented language on the net or in public domain?  A friend
> of mine, who doesn't have access to the net, would like to experiment
> with object-oriented programming to see if it is suitable for the
> project that she is working on.

     There is "g++", the GNU C++ compiler.  It's not public domain, but
it is, for the most part, freely copyable as long as you don't try to
make money off it.

     It runs on 68000 and 80386 (?) Un*x machines, but you need a *ton*
of disk space to compile everything (~35 MB for a complete system).

     -- Darryl Okahata
	UUCP: {hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpnmd!darrylo
	Internet: darrylo%hpnmd@hpcea.HP.COM
	CIS: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.

fischer@iesd.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (06/12/89)

In comp.sources.wanted, ping@hub.toronto.edu (Ping Lin) writes:
> Does anyone know if there are any interpreters (or compilers) for an
> object-oriented language on the net or in public domain?

There is "Little Smalltalk", by Tim Budd (budd@cs.orst.edu). A simple,
but usefull, implementation of Smalltalk, runs on several machines.
The book "A Little Smalltalk", by Budd, describes the systems.
Available at several archives.

/Lars
--
Copyright 1989 Lars Fischer; you can redistribute only if your recipients can.
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.dk, {...}!mcvax!iesd!fischer

Our audience is programmers, because the UNIX environments was
designed fundamentally for programming.
			-- Kernighan & Pike