[comp.sources.wanted] where do I get 4.3 sources?

dieter@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Dieter Rothmeier) (06/14/89)

I am looking for the sources to BSD 4.3. Are they even public domain?

Thanks,
Dieter Rothmeier

adnan@sgtech.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) (06/16/89)

In article <24834@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> dieter@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Dieter Rothmeier) writes:

   I am looking for the sources to BSD 4.3. Are they even public domain?

Don't we all wish they were!  Actually, BSD code is derived from ATT
source and requires an ATT source license.  None of the code is in the
public domain.  However, some code (networking for example) has been
`liberated' and is available from UCB under a very liberal license.
This is code which is not based on ATT source.
--
Adnan Yaqub
Star Gate Technologies, 29300 Aurora Rd., Solon, OH, USA, +1 216 349 1860

kent@ssbell.UUCP (Kent Landfield) (06/18/89)

In article <24834@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> dieter@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Dieter Rothmeier) writes:
#
# I am looking for the sources to BSD 4.3. Are they even public domain?
#
If you look on uunet.uu.net you will find, in the directory bsd-sources,
all the sources that have been made available under the following
restrictions.

/*
 * Copyright (c) 1980 Regents of the University of California.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
 * provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
 * duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation,
 * advertising materials, and other materials related to such
 * distribution and use acknowledge that the software was developed
 * by the University of California, Berkeley.  The name of the
 * University may not be used to endorse or promote products derived
 * from this software without specific prior written permission.
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 */
			-Kent+
---
Kent Landfield               UUCP:     kent@ssbell
Sterling Software FSG/IMD    INTERNET: kent%ssbell@uunet.uu.net
1404 Ft. Crook Rd. South     Phone:    (402) 291-8300
Bellevue, NE. 68005-2969     FAX:      (402) 291-4362

mjs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael J Spitzer) (06/20/89)

In article <24834@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> dieter@cs.ucla.edu (Dieter Rothmeier) writes:
>I am looking for the sources to BSD 4.3. Are they even public domain?

Much of 4.3BSD is freely redistributable (NOT public domain), but
it still contains lot of AT&T infested code.  Parts of the code that
has been "freed" are available from uunet in the "bsd-sources"
directory.

--
Michael J. Spitzer		Purdue University Computing Center
mjs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu	pur-ee!mentor.cc.purdue.edu!mjs

paul@deadpup.UUCP (paul) (06/20/89)

In article <3037@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, mjs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael J Spitzer) writes:

> Much of 4.3BSD is freely redistributable (NOT public domain), but
> it still contains lot of AT&T infested code.  Parts of the code that
> has been "freed" are available from uunet in the "bsd-sources"
> directory.

I have access to BSD source through a local site, but don't know what
has been liberated. As I don't access uunet directly, is there an address
that I can send a request to, and hopefully receive, a list of the files
in the afore-mentioned directory.

Paul J. Mech
oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU!deadpup!paul
uiucuxc!oucs!oucsace!deadpup!paul