[comp.sources.wanted] Request for IBM-PC "QuickKeys" source

tim@looking.on.ca (Tim Tyhurst) (06/17/89)

If anyone could tell me where I might find a copy of a PD program
called "QuickKeys", or better yet, send it to me, I would be
very grateful.  As I recall, it was a TSR which sped up or slowed
down the typematic rate on all the IBM machines, and I think it
was posted somewhere (probably in comp.sys.ibm.pc) sometime in
the last year or so.  Of course, I didn't need it back then...

In lieu of "Quick Keys" per se, any pointers to an existing program
which permits the user to adjust the typematic rate would be
appreciated.

--
Tim Tyhurst          Looking Glass Software, Waterloo, Ontario.
tim@looking.on.ca               (519) 884-7473

mitch@arcturus.UUCP (Mitchell S. Gorman) (06/21/89)

In article <3522@looking.on.ca>, tim@looking.on.ca (Tim Tyhurst) writes:

> In lieu of "Quick Keys" per se, any pointers to an existing program
> which permits the user to adjust the typematic rate would be
> appreciated.

	Norton's NCC program (Norton Control Center) has, I believe, a
control for this.  I haven't used it much, so I'm not sure if/how well it
works, but you might want to look into it.  NCC is out under V4.5, although
I'm not sure if it's just the advanced version or not.

	Hope this helps.

	Mitch @ Rockwell, Anaheim

Disclaimer:	Of course, I may be wrong... :^)

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (06/23/89)

}
}        Norton's NCC program (Norton Control Center) has, I believe, a
}control for this. [...]

To adjust the typematic rate without a TSR, you need an AT or 386 and an
AT-class keyboard (PC-class keyboards cannot have the typematic reprogrammed).
If you fit the above requirements, there are numerous small programs to adjust
the typematic.  On SIMTEL20:

"PD1:","<MSDOS.AT>","SPEEDKEY.ARC",1,607,8,871226,""
"PD1:","<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>","ATKBRATE.ARC",1,2192,8,860906,""

If you have a sufficiently recent BIOS, there is even a call to adjust the
typematic:

INT 16 - KEYBOARD - SET DELAYS (Jr,AT model 339,XT286,PS)
        AH = 03h
        AL = subfunction
            05h Set typematic rate (AT or PS/2)
        BH = 00h - 03h for delays of 250ms, 500ms, 750ms, or 1s
        BL = 00h - 1Fh for typematic rates of 30cps down to 2cps

"QuickKeys", on the other hand, is a TSR that intercepts INT 9 to stuff extra
keys into the keyboard buffer while the key continues to be held down (it adds
18.2 repetitions per second to the keyboard's own 10 per second).

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46

ugbell@sunybcs.uucp (William Bell) (06/28/89)

	Does anyone know of a handler which
will make one key on the keyoard act like another. For example
my esc key is broken so I would like to make th '5' on the number-pad
emulate the esc key.
	I am getting the keyboard replaced but thought a temporary
solution would help...