[comp.sources.wanted] daylight time

nelson@uncw.UUCP (Jim Nelson) (06/22/89)

I'm looking for the dates when daylight savings time went
into effect (in the USA mainly) from 1Jan70UTC 'till now.
Anybody remember?  For example, when did the start date
move from last Sun. in whatever to first Sun. in whatever?
I think the quit time has always been last Sun. in Oct.?

--
Jim Nelson,UNC-Wilmington,Mathematical Sciences Dept, 919-395-3300
nelson@uncw.uucp or nelson@ecsvax.uncecs.edu or nelson@ecsvax.bitnet

morrell@hpsal2.HP.COM (Michael Morrell) (06/24/89)

/ hpsal2:comp.sources.wanted / nelson@uncw.UUCP (Jim Nelson) /  8:10 am  Jun 22, 1989 /
I'm looking for the dates when daylight savings time went
into effect (in the USA mainly) from 1Jan70UTC 'till now.
Anybody remember?  For example, when did the start date
move from last Sun. in whatever to first Sun. in whatever?
I think the quit time has always been last Sun. in Oct.?
----------

Check for a file /usr/lib/tztab on your system (it's on HP-UX, but I don't
know if it's on other systems).  Summarizing from the one here:

1970-1973
   Start: Last Sunday in April
   Stop:  Last Sunday in October

1974:
   Start: January 6
   Stop:  Last Sunday in November

1975:
   Start: Last Sunday in February
   Stop:  Last Sunday in October

1976-1986:
   Start: Last Sunday in April
   Stop:  Last Sunday in October

1987-Present:
   Start: First Sunday in April
   Stop:  Last Sunday in October

    Michael

Makey@LOGICON.ARPA (Jeff Makey) (06/25/89)

In article <9490004@hpsal2.HP.COM> morrell@hpsal2.HP.COM (Michael Morrell) writes:
>1974:
>   Start: January 6
>   Stop:  Last Sunday in November
                          ^^^^^^^^
UNIX systems have been spreading this myth for a very long time.  I
see it has not stopped.  Daylight time in the United States ended on
the last Sunday in *October* in 1974.  If you're not sure whom to
believe (as I wasn't) go to the library and look in any major U.S.
newspaper from then.

                           :: Jeff Makey

Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department
    Disclaimer: Logicon doesn't even know we're running news.
    Internet: Makey@LOGICON.ARPA    UUCP: {nosc,ucsd}!logicon.arpa!Makey

>UNIX systems have been spreading this myth for a very long time.  I
>see it has not stopped.

It's stopped in systems running the Arthur Olson time zone code
(4.3-tahoe, SunOS 4.0 and later, and I think either current or future
versions of Mach, A/UX, Ultrix, and possibly others); the time zone file
"northamerica" says "last Sunday in October", and gives references
(October 26th and 27th editions of the Washington Post).

The file the person from HP cited is, I think, an HP-specific file;
systems with the Olson code have a bunch of files that specify the
rules, and should supply the "source" files from which those (binary)
files are generated (SunOS 4.x does, and I assume others do as well -
4.3-tahoe does, of course, since Berkeley only ships it in source form);
in SunOS, they're found in "/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo", as are the binary
files (either there or in subdirectories thereof).