[comp.sources.wanted] ascii database program package?

dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) (07/11/89)

I once read an article about a package of routines that manipulated
databases organized as records in a normal ASCII file.  The package
provided programs acting as filters to select records by keyword and
to format them into reports.  Can anyone give me a reference to that
article or to a similar set of programs?  Thanks,

	Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
	(619) 553-1645      dennis@nosc.MIL      sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (07/12/89)

In article <1356@nosc.NOSC.MIL> dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) writes:
>I once read an article about a package of routines that manipulated
>databases organized as records in a normal ASCII file.  The package
>provided programs acting as filters to select records by keyword and
>to format them into reports.  Can anyone give me a reference to that
>article or to a similar set of programs?  Thanks,

Perhaps this was a reference to Bibliofile.  Its records are blocks of
ascii lines (any length) separated by one or more blank lines.  Some
of the tools in the Bibliofile package also work with *roff records
using paragraphs as the unit of analysis.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

(bitnet) ehkinmonth@ucdavis.edu
(uucp) ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck
(telnet or 916-752-7920) cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.251]
	request ucdked, login as guest,
	no password

larry@macom1.UUCP (Larry Taborek) (07/14/89)

From article <1356@nosc.NOSC.MIL>, by dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel):
> I once read an article about a package of routines that manipulated
> databases organized as records in a normal ASCII file.  The package
> provided programs acting as filters to select records by keyword and
> to format them into reports.  Can anyone give me a reference to that
> article or to a similar set of programs?  Thanks,
>
> 	Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
> 	(619) 553-1645      dennis@nosc.MIL      sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

Unix comes with several tools that can allow you to build a
relational dbms and maintain it.

The tool join can do a relational join between two files on a
'key' field.

The tool sort can sort files.

The tool uniq can be used after a join/sort to remove duplicate
records.

The tool sed can be used to delete records, or extract records.

The tool awk can do math operations on records, or reform
records.

The tool cut can extract fields from records.

If you feel that it is just too hard to try to manipulate a
database with these, then there is always a shell language to try
to put a easier front end between you and the tools.

Also, its free, and you already have it.

--
Larry Taborek	..!uunet!grebyn!macom1!larry	Centel Federal Systems
		larry@macom1.UUCP		11400 Commerce Park Drive

cgh018@tijc02.UUCP (Calvin Hayden ) (07/14/89)

> In article <1356@nosc.NOSC.MIL> dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) writes:
> I once read an article about a package of routines that manipulated
> databases organized as records in a normal ASCII file.  The package
> provided programs acting as filters to select records by keyword and
> to format them into reports.  Can anyone give me a reference to that
> article or to a similar set of programs?  Thanks,

In what environment? Dos? Unix?  If its a unix environment I ran across
a book "UNIX Relational Database Management: Application Development in
the Unix Environment" by Manis, Scaffer and Jorgensen.
Explains a rdb implememtation under the unix environment with use of
filters and flat ascii files.  I haven't used it yet, but it looks ok.
Does include source code and an example or two.  I do know that it was based
on information presented at a Usenix conference by Rod Manis describing
his "/rdb" database.  IBSN 0-13-938622-x, published by Prentice Hall.

                                     _____
                                     |   |     o
Calvin Hayden                        |    \_  / ____
Texas Instruments               _____|     __/__   |
Johnson City, TN.               \_          /       \
VOICE: (615) 461-2254             \        /  /     _|
UUCP: ...mcnc!rti!tijc02!cgh018    \_/--\  \_/  __ /
                                          \    |
                                            \__\

cgh018@tijc02.UUCP (Calvin Hayden ) (07/18/89)

> > In article <1356@nosc.NOSC.MIL> dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) writes:
> > I once read an article about a package of routines that manipulated
> > databases organized as records in a normal ASCII file.  The package
> > provided programs acting as filters to select records by keyword and
>
> In what environment? Dos? Unix?  If its a unix environment I ran across
> a book "UNIX Relational Database Management: Application Development in
> the Unix Environment" by Manis, Scaffer and Jorgensen.
> Explains a rdb implememtation under the unix environment with use of
> filters and flat ascii files.  I haven't used it yet, but it looks ok.
> Does include source code and an example or two.  I do know that it was based
> on information presented at a Usenix conference by Rod Manis describing
> his "/rdb" database.  IBSN 0-13-938622-x, published by Prentice Hall.

OOPS!  Spoke too soon,  the book contains sources for small bits n pieces,
but not the entire source.  I believe it mentions where the source for /rdb
is available from, but for a co$t.  Sorry didn't include this before.

Cal