[comp.sources.wanted] passwd encryption source

chris@polya.Stanford.EDU (Christopher C. Warren) (07/19/89)

Hi,  I'm looking for the source for the source for the crypt function used
in login, and passwd.  Could someone tell me where I can find it.

	Thanks
	Chris

rotimi@accur8.UUCP (Rotimi Gbadamosi) (07/21/89)

In article <10689@polya.Stanford.EDU> chris@Polya.Stanford.EDU (Christopher C. Warren) writes:
>Hi,  I'm looking for the source for the source for the crypt function used
>in login, and passwd.  Could someone tell me where I can find it.
>
>	Thanks
>	Chris

We would be interested too. Please send us a copy.

Thanks.

rotimi

 >>Hi,  I'm looking for the source for the source for the crypt function used
 >>in login, and passwd.  Could someone tell me where I can find it.
 >
 >We would be interested too. Please send us a copy.

It's available from a company called American Telephone and Telegraph;
last I'd heard, the price was somewhere around the $50-$80K US range (If
you're a university, you can get it much cheaper) but you also get the
complete source to UNIX as a free bonus....

In other words, if you literally want that source, it's part of UNIX and
you get a UNIX license from AT&T.  Somebody may have done a
reimplementation of it, e.g. for GNU, in which case that's probably less
expensive or free.