[comp.sources.wanted] L.sys entries

nrg@nsscb.UUCP (Narotham Reddy) (08/01/89)

L.sys (for my unix-pc) entries for the following:

1) bloom-beacon.mit.edu
2) cs.bu.edu
3) decwrl.dec.com
4) cs.utexas.edu
5) mailrus.cc.umich.edu
6) mandrill.ces.cwru.edu
7) cs.purdue.edu
8) rutgers.edu
9) telly.on.ca
10) tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
11) uccba.vc.edu

I am asking these L.sys entries so that I can dial and request to get
any free software using "uucp".

IF THE L.SYS ENTRY CAN NOT BE OBTAINED, ATLEAST HOW CAN I ACCESS/ REQUEST.

Reddy....

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (08/02/89)

In article <855@nsscb.UUCP> nrg@nsscb.UUCP (Narotham Reddy) writes:
>L.sys (for my unix-pc) entries for the following:

>[other sitenames]

>9) telly.on.ca

>[still others]

I can't speak for the others, but I can speak for this one:

>I am asking these L.sys entries so that I can dial and request to get
>any free software using "uucp".

Who in heavens told you that this site offers software by UUCP? I assume
by asking for L.sys 'entries', you want a way to just dial in
anonymously and fetch the stuff. That ain't available here, now or ever.

The only way I can guess you got this list is from the 'Alternate News
Hierarcies' posting that goes into news.announce or whatever. This site
is listed there as being a source for the gnu and pubnet Usenet hierarchies.
That it is. It does NOT mean this place (or any other mentioned in this
list) is necesarily a public repository for gnu (or any other) software.

If you want something from this site, why don't you have the class to
just email to 'root' or 'postmaster' or the contact listed in the site's
map entries, and ask for it?

The request for 'any free software' make me think these folks are just
going on a scavenger hunt for software - never to use, just to collect.

The first time a request like this came out, I responded by private
mail. This is the second one. I'm posting this to try to prevent a
third.

>IF THE L.SYS ENTRY CAN NOT BE OBTAINED, ATLEAST HOW CAN I ACCESS/ REQUEST.

And all-caps, yet? Sheeesh.
No L.sys entry for this site, boyo...
--
  Evan Leibovitch, SA, Telly Online, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / Director & editor, /usr/group/cdn