[comp.sources.wanted] Want to run MIX examples in Knuth's books

lhf@aries5 (Luiz H. deFigueiredo) (08/14/89)

Does anyone have/know about a mix interpreter and/or mixal assembler?
I'd like a copy (c source prefered)

(MIX is Knuth's example machine that appears in The Art of Computer Programming)

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo		internet: lhf@aries5.waterloo.edu
Computer Systems Group			bitnet:   lhf@watcsg
University of Waterloo
			(possible domains are waterloo.edu and uwaterloo.ca)

lhf@aries5 (Luiz H. deFigueiredo) (08/17/89)

I wrote:
>Does anyone have/know about a mix interpreter and/or mixal assembler?
>I'd like a copy (c source if possible)
>(MIX is Knuth's machine that appears in The Art of Computer Programming)

I haven't had any luck yet getting an answer from the net.
I might have to write my own interpreter and assembler.
In any case, I'll post it to the net (any suggestions for the group?).

karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer) (08/17/89)

In article <385@maytag.waterloo.edu>, lhf@aries5 (Luiz H. deFigueiredo) writes:
> I wrote:
> >Does anyone have/know about a mix interpreter and/or mixal assembler?
> >I'd like a copy (c source if possible)
> >(MIX is Knuth's machine that appears in The Art of Computer Programming)

There were a whole pile of them on punch decks in the basement of Lindley
Hall at Indiana University a few years back.  It was a project for somebody's
class.  They were all written in TI980 assembly, though.

I thought everybody including Knuth agreed that MIX may have been relevant to
its time (implementations of the various functions were often, maybe usually,
done in assembly) but that, these days, high level languages are the way to go
for 'most everything, like describing and coding algorithms.

--
-- uunet!ficc!karl	"Have you debugged your wolf today?"