[comp.sources.wanted] MIX

lhf@aries5 (Luiz H. deFigueiredo) (08/24/89)

In article <385@maytag.waterloo.edu> I wrote:
>I wrote:
>>Does anyone have/know about a mix interpreter and/or mixal assembler?
>>I'd like a copy (c source if possible)
>>(MIX is Knuth's machine that appears in The Art of Computer Programming)
>
>I haven't had any luck yet getting an answer from the net.
>I might have to write my own interpreter and assembler.
>In any case, I'll post it to the net (any suggestions for the group?).

Well, to this day I still do not have a working program.
(I didn't have time to write one).

Someone (sorry, I forgot who) said on the net that MIX was a thing of the past
and that everyone, including Knuth, thought that HLL are better to communicate
algorithms.

I agree but I'd still like to be able to run the examples.

Does anyone know whether Knuth is planning to use MIX for the forthcoming :-)
volumes of The Art of Computer Programming?

Below are the answers I got:

From: dewey@dell.dell.com (Dewey Coffman)
	At the University of Oklahoma, we wrote a interpreter for MIX as a
	class project. AS I understand, the instructor was going continue
	this each year with a different piece until he had a compiler. His
	name is Ted Tenny. I don't believe he is with the University anymore.
	You might try contacting him through ACM..

	dewey coffman
	Dell Computer Corp
	Austin Texas

	cs.utexas.edu!dell!dewey,
	uunet!dell!dewey
	dewey@dell.dell.com

From: Steve <COLEMAN@UMBSKY>
     I have a version of MIX for VMS. I don't know if that's what you're
looking for, but you're welcome to it. I haven't looked at it recently,
but I know at least some of it is in assembly. so that probably isn't
any good if you're using something other than VMS.

                         Steve Coleman
                         Computing Services
                         UMass/Boston
                         Bitnet:   COLEMAN@UMBSKY
                         Internet: coleman@umb.edu

(Steve, if you read this, please mail me a copy. I couldn't send mail
to you :-( ).

From: tfd!kent%sundc.East@Sun.COM (Kent Hauser)
I've always thought the world's problems would be solved is *someone*
would just build a mix machine.

However, until that time, I'd appreciate a copy of any MIX stuff you
get.

Thanks.

	kent@tfd.uucp
	{sun!sundc, uunet}!tfd!kent

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo		internet: lhf@aries5.waterloo.edu
Computer Systems Group			bitnet:   lhf@watcsg
University of Waterloo     (possible domains are waterloo.edu and uwaterloo.ca)