[comp.sources.wanted] VI for DOS

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (08/11/89)

Everyone keeps telling me there is a public domain VI clone
for DOS (ug).  Any pointers would be helpful before I go
bonkers.

Thanks.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    amc-gw!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

tmm@hp-sdd.hp.com (Tim McDonough) (08/26/89)

In article <130@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>Everyone keeps telling me there is a public domain VI clone
>for DOS (ug).  Any pointers would be helpful before I go
>bonkers.
>
>Thanks.
>--
>Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
>    amc-gw!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

I had a copy of a PD version of vi for the DOS.  I believe it came from the
simtel20 archives.  The only real hang-up I had with it was that it only
allowed the cursor keys on the number pad to be used to move in the
file, and I personally like to use the hjkl keys!!

                                 -Tim

* Hewlett Packard - San Diego Division                 Timothy M. McDonough   *
* 16399 W. Bernardo Drive                              1350 N. Esc. Blvd. #40 *
* San Diego, CA 92127                                  Escondido, CA 92026    *
* (619) 592-8657                                       (619) 489-7863         *
*                            tmm@hp-sdd.sdd.hp.com                            *

chad@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (D. Chadwick Gibbons) (08/26/89)

|In article <130@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
|>Everyone keeps telling me there is a public domain VI clone
|>for DOS (ug).  Any pointers would be helpful before I go
|>bonkers.

	the program STEVIE was just posted on comp.sources.misc - it's
	portable on a large number of systems, DOS included. it's about as
	good of a vi clone as you can get.  i can mail you the binrary if you
	have no access to a compiler or don't want to bother.
--
D. Chadwick Gibbons (chad@csd4.csd.uwm.edu)

art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) (08/28/89)

>In article <130@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>Everyone keeps telling me there is a public domain VI clone
>for DOS (ug).  Any pointers would be helpful before I go
>>bonkers.

The latest version of "stevie" from the minix archives does a very good
job of emulating vi.  It lacks some of the ex commands but they will
get incorporated eventually I'm sure.  Source is provided.  Check
either the comp.os.minix or comp.sources.misc news groups for the
latest posting.  If you have real difficulty, let me know and we may
be able to work something out.

		Art Dederick
		(714)966-3618
		{ccicpg,hplabs,spsd}!felix!art

  I tried to mail back to the original poster but it bounced. The VI is
on the archive server at sixhub. I'd mail it but I'm off on a trip and
won't be back for some weeks.

  Send mail to
	uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!archive-server
saying
	send help to YOURADDRESS
and	send index to YOURADDRESS

  Then order what you want. The address can be internet or uucp starting
with any mapped site (you don't need the whole path).

that the world is flat!" - anon