[comp.sources.wanted] Sources to RCS needed

chm@ut-emx.UUCP (Christopher H. Marshall) (09/28/89)

Hi-
     I have been hearing about RCS as a replacement to SCCS.  It is
supposed to be an improvement over SCCS and publicly available.  What
anonymous ftp sites have the sources to RCS?

Thanks,
Christopher Marshall

pusateri@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) (09/28/89)

Since RCS was written as Purdue University, the latest version is always
available from arthur.cs.purdue.edu. I think 4.0 is the latest and you'll
really enjoy using it over sccs.

Tom Pusateri

pusateri@nbsr.mc.duke.edu

nadkarni@ashok.dec.com (09/29/89)

In article <15680@duke.cs.duke.edu>, pusateri@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) writes...
>Since RCS was written as Purdue University, the latest version is always
>available from arthur.cs.purdue.edu. I think 4.0 is the latest and you'll
>really enjoy using it over sccs.
>
>Tom Pusateri
>
>pusateri@nbsr.mc.duke.edu

Does anyone know if there is a PD port of RCS to MS-DOS ?  If so, where
is it available ?

Thanks,

/Ashok Nadkarni

frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) (10/03/89)

nadkarni@ashok.dec.com writes:

>Does anyone know if there is a PD port of RCS to MS-DOS ?  If so, where
>is it available ?

>Thanks,

>/Ashok Nadkarni

My understanding is that Walter Tichy (author) retains the copyright
to RCS.  There is an MKS port of RCS to MS-DOS that is licensed with
Walter, but he retains the copyright...  It is my conjecture (from
various rumors) that the MKS license is a non-exclusive right to
market RCS, presumably world-wide...

--Frotz @Digital Research, Incorporated		amdahl!drivax!frotz
	 70 Garden Court, B15			(408) 649-3896
	 Monterey, California  93940		Ask for John Fa'atuai

chittamu@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Satish Kumar .C) (10/03/89)

In article <2527DB32.47F4@drivax.UUCP> frotz@drivax.UUCP writes:
>nadkarni@ashok.dec.com writes:
>
>>Does anyone know if there is a PD port of RCS to MS-DOS ?  If so, where
>>is it available ?
>
>>Thanks,
>
>>/Ashok Nadkarni
>
>My understanding is that Walter Tichy (author) retains the copyright
>to RCS.  There is an MKS port of RCS to MS-DOS that is licensed with
>Walter, but he retains the copyright...  It is my conjecture (from
>various rumors) that the MKS license is a non-exclusive right to
>market RCS, presumably world-wide...

I have included part of the comments from Walt Tichy's sources for RCS
below

======
RCS is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
the Free Software Foundation; either version 1, or (at your option)
any later version.

RCS is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the iGNU General Public License
for more details.
======

As you can see, RCS *is* free and available in the public domain.
The sources can be ftp'ed from cs.purdue.edu ( anonymous ftp)
They can be found in the directory ~/pub/RCS.

--
	-Satish.
	chittamu@cs.umass.edu