[comp.sources.wanted] User level access control

75046.606@CompuServe.COM (Larry W. Virden) (10/06/89)

I am looking for a program to provide additional / optional protection
mechanism over/beside Unix permission modes.

I believe that I have seen something out there on the net in the past.

What I have in mind is a program which would read a user-provided
database of 'groups' and determine whether the user in question was
permitted to access a particular file.  There would have to be
various security features built into the software, but this would
allow a project or individual maintain some level of control wihtout
having to go thru adding groups to a system group file.  Perhaps
someone remembers seeing something like this?

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (10/07/89)

In article <"891006132638.75046.606.CHD50-2"@CompuServe.COM> 75046.606@CompuServe.COM (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>What I have in mind is a program which would read a user-provided
>database of 'groups' and determine whether the user in question was
>permitted to access a particular file.  There would have to be
>various security features built into the software, but this would
>allow a project or individual maintain some level of control wihtout
>having to go thru adding groups to a system group file.  Perhaps
>someone remembers seeing something like this?

What about ...

groupaccess (file)
char *file;
{
	struct stat sb;
	struct group *gp;
	char *user = logname();
	char *cp;

	stat (file, &sb);
	gp = getgrgid (sb.st_gid);
	for (cp = gp->gr_mem;cp;cp++)
		if (strcmp (cp, logname) == 0)
			break;

	return (cp != 0);
}
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Things you didn't want to know:------
VoiceNet: (512) 832-8832   Data: -8835  | The real meaning of MACH is ...