[comp.sources.wanted] diff tutorial

jobrien@nixbur.UUCP (John O'Brien) (10/05/89)

Hi,

I'm not very experienced at postnews, so bear with me if this doesn't turn
out quite right.

I am looking for an algorithm that does what "diff" on Unix does.  We
don't have the system source around here, and it will probably necess-
ary to modify the source quite a bit.  I seem to remember that there
was a back issue of Dr. Dobbs or Computer Language that had an article on the
subject, but I can't find it in the back issues I have.

				Thanks in advance!
				John F. O'Brien

UUCP:  linus!nixbur!obrien.bur
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
disclaimer:  They don't speak for me, and I don't speak for them
*/

davidc@vlsisj.VLSI.COM (David Chapman) (10/11/89)

In article <692@nixbur.UUCP> jobrien@nixbur.UUCP (John O'Brien) writes:
>I am looking for an algorithm that does what "diff" on Unix does.  We
>don't have the system source around here, and it will probably necess-
>ary to modify the source quite a bit.  I seem to remember that there
>was a back issue of Dr. Dobbs or Computer Language that had an article on the
>subject, but I can't find it in the back issues I have.

The magazine was Dr. Dobb's Journal, August 1984.  The article was "What's
the Diff?" by D.E. Cortesi.

I translated the program into C for my own use; source code for two differnt
versions is in the mail.  Other readers who are interested can send me E-mail
as well.  I'm not posting this to any of the various newsgroups because

1) I don't have "shar"
2) It's probably already there in the archives somewhere
3) At this point I don't know where it should be posted (comp.sources.misc?)

Since you're getting source I can't be held responsible for any system
crashes (i.e. low-level disk formats ;-) that may occur.  It should compile
without problems under K&R and ANSI C.

Please respect the copyright; basically it says that you can't sell my code
but you are more than welcome to give it away.  Pretty standard stuff, but
I'm a bit more sensitive to it here because my code is in turn taken from
someone else and I can't speak for him.

By the way, Mr. O'Brien, I don't have a very good network connection and
so I'm not sure I'll be able to reach you using the "foo!bar" path (I
usually use domains).  If you don't get the stuff within about 3 days then
send me E-mail or post a message and I'll see what I can do.
--
		David Chapman

{known world}!decwrl!vlsisj!fndry!davidc
vlsisj!fndry!davidc@decwrl.dec.com