[comp.sources.wanted] want UNIX resource management stuff

kcw@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Ken Whedbee) (10/10/89)

I'm looking for some resource management programs that run
on UNIX to enforce stuff like CPU time limits.  (for example,
kick people off after they have used 15 CPU minutes ..)
Also something that would be nice is renicing background
user processes after they've run awhile at normal priority.

I'm basically looking for BSD UNIX stuff to run on ULTRIX.
VMS type people are gonna be using this system, and they
want VMS type of resource enforcements such as CPU time limits
and other very mysterious services ...

thanks in advance,

--
Ken Whedbee                  Internet:  kcw@beach.cis.ufl.edu
University of Florida        UUCP:  ..!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!kcw

davidc@vlsisj.VLSI.COM (David Chapman) (10/12/89)

In article <21014@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> kcw@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Ken Whedbee) writes:
>I'm looking for some resource management programs that run
>on UNIX to enforce stuff like CPU time limits.  (for example,
>kick people off after they have used 15 CPU minutes ..)
>Also something that would be nice is renicing background
>user processes after they've run awhile at normal priority.
>
>I'm basically looking for BSD UNIX stuff to run on ULTRIX.
>VMS type people are gonna be using this system, and they
>want VMS type of resource enforcements such as CPU time limits
>and other very mysterious services ...

Last I heard this wasn't easy.  Under VMS, programs are overlaid onto
the same process.  As a result it is easy to accumulate CPU time.  Under
UNIX everything runs as a new process and so it's easy to "lose" CPU time
(renice for a single process should be possible, though).

UNIX was not designed to have resource controls.  This is admittedly one
of the major holes WRT a commercial environment (i.e. possibly selfish
users).  There are well-known examples of programs that anyone can run
and crash a UNIX machine (though they'll know who did it).  You might
have trouble finding what you need.

With any luck, I'm wrong.  For your sake I hope so.
--
		David Chapman

{known world}!decwrl!vlsisj!fndry!davidc
vlsisj!fndry!davidc@decwrl.dec.com