[comp.sources.wanted] arc for unix

wilkes@mips.COM (John Wilkes) (03/23/88)

I need a version of the MS-DOS ARC program for the unix environment.  I
want to transfer files from my unix(tm) box to a PClone via a 1200 baud
modem (I know, the whole concept is ugly...), and I'd like to compress the
data before sending it.  Ideally, it should be compressed into a format
that can be uncompressed on the PC.  ;-)  ;-)

Any solutions out there?

Thanks!

-John Wilkes
--
-- @work:
--	  {decwrl,ames,pyramid,prls}!mips!wilkes

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Steve Creps) (03/24/88)

In article <1919@electron.mips.COM> wilkes@mips.COM (John Wilkes) writes:

>I need a version of the MS-DOS ARC program for the unix environment.  I

>Any solutions out there?

   Someone ported the actual PC Arc program to Unix and posted it last year.
We have a copy of the source here. You can ftp it from pub/arc/* at
iuvax.cs.indiana.edu.

-      -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -	-
Steve Creps on the 8650 runnin' Ultrix at Indiana University.
creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (192.12.206.2), ...iuvax!silver!creps,
creps@iubacs.bitnet "Hey fellas, it's a four-legged V-8!"

probst@solaris.UUCP (Probst) (10/14/88)

Is there a Unix version of the ARC file compression systems?  I've seen
it on the vax (binary only) but have not seen sources in the unix
archives.

Please reply via e-mail; I'll summarize.

-Urs Probst                  probst@solaris.uucp
Institut fuer Informatik     probst%solaris.ifi.ethz.ch@relay.cs.net
ETH Zentrum
8092 Zurich, Switzerland

Complete sources for ARC 5.21 are available now on terminator.cc.umich.edu,
35.1.33.8, in ~ftp/pub/misc/Arcsrc.tar.Z. These files say their patch level
is 4 - I haven't posted the actual patch yet. The banner now says ARC 5.21c,
so I can distinguish various edits of the program... Not much has changed, but
two small bugs were fixed.
	If an ARC header had a zero timestamp, the List routines would
	crash, or reference past an array bound and *then* crash...

	The old style Crunch routine didn't initialize its hash table
	correctly, so it would only work for the first "crunched" file,
	then the garbage left in the hash table would cause subsequent
	processing to hang.

This will most likely be the last time I post a 5.21 based program. It'd be
nice to get ZIP going instead...

Just to remind you - this version runs on most BSD and SysV flavor systems,
including Apollos, Suns, and Vaxen, and the Atari ST.
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (05/23/89)

In article <644@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
	[about ARC]
>This will most likely be the last time I post a 5.21 based program. It'd be
>nice to get ZIP going instead...
>
>Just to remind you - this version runs on most BSD and SysV flavor systems,
>including Apollos, Suns, and Vaxen, and the Atari ST.

Just to remind everyone - ZOO already runs fine on all those systems,
has more features than ARC and is available from all the major FTP and UUCP
archive sites.  I use it for all my on-site archiving.  If Rahul were
as publicity hungry as what-his-name we would all be using ZOO by now.

--
Tom Neff				UUCP:     ...!uunet!bfmny0!tneff
    "Truisms aren't everything."	Internet: tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (05/24/89)

From article <644@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu>, by hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu):

> This will most likely be the last time I post a 5.21 based program. It'd be
> nice to get ZIP going instead...

  I have the sources for 'unzip' for Xenix or BSD if your interested.
  The file is located in the 'unix_fmaint' files section. File 'unzip.tar.Z'

  ---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*                   login: bbs
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (05/24/89)

In article <14341@bfmny0.UUCP> tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>>Just to remind you - this version runs on most BSD and SysV flavor systems,
>>including Apollos, Suns, and Vaxen, and the Atari ST.
>
>Just to remind everyone - ZOO already runs fine on all those systems,
>has more features than ARC and is available from all the major FTP and UUCP
>archive sites.  I use it for all my on-site archiving.  If Rahul were
>as publicity hungry as what-his-name we would all be using ZOO by now.

I'm sure that FTP users all have ZOO, but I have not been able to get it
from any of the archive sites in source form for either of the Unix
systems I use.

Despite many promises to send it my way, it has yet to show up, and I
have no idea how easy the installation will be.

I do have binaries for my Atari ST, but the idea of downloading to get
files ZOO'd and unZOO'd is ridiculous.  Until ZOO is avialable to those
without FTP access, many of us will continue to use ARC.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

Well... A few hours after my previous posting, the directories in our
anonymous ftp area got rearranged... If you looked for the file in the
path I specified before and didn't find it, well... Sorry, wasn't my
fault. It's now residing in ~ftp/unix/arcsrc.tar.Z (Thanks to Nathan
Glasser for letting me know about the problem. I guess our internal
communications could use a little work...)
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!

In article <14341@bfmny0.UUCP> tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>Just to remind everyone - ZOO already runs fine on all those systems,
>has more features than ARC and is available from all the major FTP and UUCP
>archive sites.  I use it for all my on-site archiving.  If Rahul were
>as publicity hungry as what-his-name we would all be using ZOO by now.

That's a tough call... ZOO first appeared for Unix only, so it had to
compete with time-honored existing utilities (tar, cpio, and compress,
for example) for attention. Some local gurus think ARC and its ilk are
an utter waste, and violate the Unix philosophy... (Single purpose commands,
which you can connect in pipelines, such as tar -> compress.) I don't
think ZOO has languished for lack of publicity, just lack of need, or lack
of desire on the part of most Unix users.

On the other hand, ARC grew out of CP/M, and fluorished in the MessyDOS
world. Sad to say, there's a damn large number of MessyDOS machines out
there, and a large number of users using ARC. Not because of publicity
directly from SEA/Thom Henderson, but by word of mouth from satisfied
DOS users. The more recent publicity is just an after-effect of an already
established utility... It may not be a wonderful program, but for a couple
years there, ARC was the best thing around. Since ARC files are so
pervasive on the nets now, a port to other environments makes sense, even
though the program and format themselves aren't ideal for the foreign
systems. There was a distinct need for other systems to be able to manage
ARC archives, but no real need for ZOO.

Mebbe it's like the choice between uuencode and atob. atob is more
efficient, but uuencode has been around longer... I haven't looked at the
ZOO code in a long time, so I can't say if it's better or worse. Every
now and then I hear complaints about its usability though, so who knows.
I don't have a stake in this; I don't get money for it, so that doesn't
really matter. But, at least on my ST, ZOO is kind of a pain.

I'd probably want to get ZIP working on Unix though, instead of fixing up
ZOO and trying to spread it around DOS systems. To my mind, it'd be easier
to introduce a new program and set a standard for a new type of utility,
(on the Unix end) rather than introducing a new program to compete with
an existing standard (ZOO vs ZIP on MSDOS). Still, it's hard to say. ZOO
runs on my ST, ZIP doesn't. We use ZOO for some of the larger files in
our Atari archive, for this reason. ZIP seems to be emerging as a new
standard for the DOS world though, and while I don't like playing catch-up
all the time, it seems to make sense to bring what "most people" are using
to the systems that I use. Of course, "most people" is only what I see,
here at the UofM. If "most people" to you are using something else, well,
you deal with it.

Sorry for the length. It doesn't matter much to me what you like to use,
I just wanted to say that no one program is obviously superior to another,
despite the available features...
--

rock@rancho..uucp (Rock Kent) (05/25/89)

In article <3282@cs.dal.ca> silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) writes:
   I'm sure that FTP users all have ZOO, but I have not been able to get it
   from any of the archive sites in source form for either of the Unix
   systems I use.

I just checked the archive lists and found ZOO as:
     v17i064.Z:Subject: v17i064:  Zoo archive program, Part01/10
     v17i065.Z:Subject: v17i065:  Zoo archive program, Part02/10
     v17i065a.Z:Subject: v17i065:  Zoo archive program, Part02/10
     v17i066.Z:Subject: v17i066:  Zoo archive program, Part03/10
     v17i067.Z:Subject: v17i067:  Zoo archive program, Part04/10
     v17i068.Z:Subject: v17i068:  Zoo archive program, Part05/10
     v17i069.Z:Subject: v17i069:  Zoo archive program, Part06/10
     v17i070.Z:Subject: v17i070:  Zoo archive program, Part07/10
     v17i071.Z:Subject: v17i071:  Zoo archive program, Part08/10
     v17i072.Z:Subject: v17i072:  Zoo archive program, Part09/10
     v17i073.Z:Subject: v17i073:  Zoo archive program, Part10/10

You can grab them via anonymous uucp from sir-alan, killer, or some
other site that archives comp.sources.unix.

*Rock Kent    rock@rancho.uucp        POB 8964, Rancho Sante Fe, CA. 92067*

chuckb@hounix.UUCP (Chuck Bentley) (05/26/89)

I suggest anyone looking for an archiver to use under XENIX/UNIX
seriously look at zoo.  I've found it far superior to any of the
ARC or PKARC or ZIP programs.  It runs on DOS (how can they call
this an operating system, it's a monitor!!!) as well as UNIX.

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (05/29/89)

In article <1142@hounix.UUCP>, chuckb@hounix.UUCP (Chuck Bentley) writes:
> I suggest anyone looking for an archiver to use under XENIX/UNIX
> seriously look at zoo.  I've found it far superior to any of the
> ARC or PKARC or ZIP programs.  It runs on DOS (how can they call
> this an operating system, it's a monitor!!!) as well as UNIX.

   This is all to politicial of a argument. If you want to change *most*
of the archives to zoo your going to have to appeal to the site
administrators. I admit on many university computers they may use zoo
most likely because they have no choice. On many same PC type Unix systems,
and MS DOS systems they end up with ARC, PKARC, and ZIP. Why because there
is alot of utilities available to convert the archives. Another reason is
the user interface is pleasent. I myself run an archive with about 110meg
of pk-arced files on a Xenix system. So with this in mind give me a
superior arguement why I should spend all the time unarchiveing the
archives and putting them in zoo. Also what is so wrong about haveing a
couple of different archivers available?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda                                *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun,dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (10/05/89)

Yes I know its available on simtel20, but unfortunately, I don't
have ftp access right now.  Could some kind soul mail me the source
to the unix version of the arc archiver.  It's in one of the directories
that the listservers for simtel20 can't get to (PD2:<UNIX-C>).

					Thanks,
					Ron

+---All Views Expressed Are My Own And Are Not Necessarily Shared By---+
+---------------------------My Employer--------------------------------+
+  Ronald S. Woan         (VNET) woan@austin, ron@woan.austin.ibm.com  +
+  outside       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmaus!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron  +

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (10/30/89)

I have created a Unix directory which LISTSERV can access.  It
will only have programs which assist PC users in accessing our
archives.

Filename		Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD3:<MISC.UNIX>
ARCSRC.TAR-Z		BINARY	251529  BADDH  <--ARC for BSD Unix
RZSZ0525.TAR-Z		BINARY	 89083  5340H  <--X/Y/Zmodem for Unix
						  and VAX/VMS

These are standard Unix tar files, compressed with the Unix compress
program.  Rename them to arcsrc.tar.Z and rzsz0525.tar.Z before
uncompressing.  Extract the files with tar xf filename.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@eddie.mit.edu, w8sdz@brl.arpa
BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz