[comp.sources.wanted] RCS for MS-DOS?

mike@fionn.lbl.gov (Michael Helm) (11/01/89)

Is there some form of RCS available for an MS-DOS machine?
Is it compatible with any of the well-known UNIX versions
of RCS?  This is important to me, since UNIX is the likely
migration path.  I'd appreciate any information about free,
shareware, or commercial versions.  I have heard that MKS
sells a version -- has anyone used this, & could give me a
quick review?

Thanks,
Michael Helm (mike@fionn.lbl.gov) (M_Helm@lbl.gov) (FAX 415 486 4873)

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (11/01/89)

In article <4086@helios.ee.lbl.gov> mike@fionn.lbl.gov (Michael Helm) writes:
<Is there some form of RCS available for an MS-DOS machine?
<Is it compatible with any of the well-known UNIX versions
<of RCS?  This is important to me, since UNIX is the likely
<migration path.  I'd appreciate any information about free,
<shareware, or commercial versions.  I have heard that MKS
<sells a version -- has anyone used this, & could give me a
<quick review?

Yes, MKS makes a DOS version of RCS.  It is 100% compatible with the Unix
version.  Now that I have Unix on my PC and RCS as well, I even grab the
MKS manual when I need to look up a command syntax.

The only difference is that DOS-RCS cannot add the ,v to the RCS files.  So,
if you transport the files to a Unix environment, the only thing that you
will have to do is add the ,v to each of the RCS files.

Excellent software, well worth the little bit they are asking for it.
--
                harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) (11/02/89)

mike@fionn.lbl.gov (Michael Helm) writes:

>Is there some form of RCS available for an MS-DOS machine?
>Is it compatible with any of the well-known UNIX versions
>of RCS?  This is important to me, since UNIX is the likely
>migration path.  I'd appreciate any information about free,
>shareware, or commercial versions.  I have heard that MKS
>sells a version -- has anyone used this, & could give me a
>quick review?

>Thanks,
>Michael Helm (mike@fionn.lbl.gov) (M_Helm@lbl.gov) (FAX 415 486 4873)

We have one, but can't distribute it.  We only have a license for
internal use.  So please no requests.

The problem that I have seen of our port of RCS v3.0 is that the silly
LF/CRLF problem is a hassle.  This only happens when transferring
files from DOS to UNIX...  The other problem is ensuring that the
current user name UNDER DOS is set correctly.  Other than this, there
are very few other problems.

BTW, our port chose to say that RCS files are in the directory .\RCS
(unless specified via an environment variable).  I assume that MKS
chose a similar route...

--
Frotz