[comp.sources.wanted] Need multi-user chat program for BBS

barry@cavevax.ucsb.edu (Barry Brown) (11/20/89)

The BBS I help run is in dire need of a good chat program.  We're looking for
a program that allows BBS users to chat with each other in a forum style,
preferably similar to the CB simulator on Compuserve.  Almost anything will do
since we have nothing right now.

Thanks in advance!

--
____   /____  ____   ____      |  Barry Brown, barry@cavevax.ucsb.edu
   /  /    / |    |     /      |  For a good time:

karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (11/20/89)

barry@cavevax.ucsb.edu writes:
   The BBS I help run is in dire need of a good chat program.

The IRC (internet relay chat) system posted to alt.sources a while
back should do well for you.  IRC has the capability to interconnect
with other IRC servers around the Internet, but it's trivial to
configure it to be just a local system.

--Karl

barry@cavevax.ucsb.edu (Barry Brown) (11/21/89)

In article <3070@hub.UUCP> barry@cavevax.ucsb.edu (Barry Brown) writes:
>The BBS I help run is in dire need of a good chat program.  We're looking for
>a program that allows BBS users to chat with each other in a forum style,
>preferably similar to the CB simulator on Compuserve.  Almost anything will do
>since we have nothing right now.
>
>Thanks in advance!

Sorry for not posting specifics.  I'm using a Microvax II under BSD 4.3.
I received pointers to some chat programs, but they seemed to be for SysV
or other non-BSD systems and refused to compile correctly on cavevax.
The BBS, incidentally, is Citadel/UX.  For details, see below:

--

gaggy@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Gregory Gulik) (11/22/89)

In article <KARL.89Nov20102350@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>barry@cavevax.ucsb.edu writes:
>   The BBS I help run is in dire need of a good chat program.
>
>The IRC (internet relay chat) system posted to alt.sources a while
>back should do well for you.  IRC has the capability to interconnect
>with other IRC servers around the Internet, but it's trivial to
>configure it to be just a local system.
>
>--Karl

You should try the 'party' program.  It doesn't support the
internet stuff, but is a pretty good program to use on one system.

I'm sure it's around on ftp sites, but if you can't find
it let me know and I'll e-mail a copy.

-greg

--
Gregory Gulik