[comp.sources.wanted] Wanted: Source of UNIX-based chess

ktw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (kenneth.t.wolman) (11/22/89)

I was sent code for gnuchess, but discovered that because my system
does not have a gnu environment I cannot compile the c-code to run
the thing.  I'm looking for UNIX-based chess that will run under
more or less "normal" System V.  Does such a beast exist?

If so, and unless there are a bunch of "me-too's" out there, please
send me the sources via private email.

Thanx.

Ken
--
       Ken Wolman           AT&T Bell Laboratories, Short Hills, NJ
       mhuxo!ktw                                     (201) 564-2085

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (11/23/89)

In article <6959@cbnewsm.ATT.COM>, ktw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (kenneth.t
writes:
> I was sent code for gnuchess, but discovered that because my system
> does not have a gnu environment I cannot compile the c-code to run
> the thing.  I'm looking for UNIX-based chess that will run under
> more or less "normal" System V.  Does such a beast exist?

What's a GNU environment? Anyways, you should be able to compile
gnuchess on just about anything (I have on SUNOS and AIX/RT). Just
play with the header files and Makefile. It's really quite easy. It will
run on just about everything.

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

tim@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Tim Nelson) (11/24/89)

In article <6959@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> ktw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (kenneth.t.wolman) writes:
>the thing.  I'm looking for UNIX-based chess that will run under
>more or less "normal" System V.  Does such a beast exist?
>
>If so, and unless there are a bunch of "me-too's" out there, please
>send me the sources via private email.

ok, here it is.      ---->   ME TOO   <----

As Ken said, you could post, or send it to me via e-mail.

        thanx & later,

                       =====
tim nelson       | uucp        ...!uunet!attcan!ncrcan!tim
ncr canada       | internet     Tim.Nelson@Toronto.NCR.COM
(416) 826-9000   | 6865 Century Ave, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5N 2E2
                       =====
* Have a good day, and a great forever!                    * What?

sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) (11/28/89)

In article <6959@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> ktw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (kenneth.t.wolman) writes:
>I was sent code for gnuchess, but discovered that because my system
>does not have a gnu environment I cannot compile the c-code to run
>the thing.  I'm looking for UNIX-based chess that will run under
>more or less "normal" System V.  Does such a beast exist?

I've gotten gnuchess to compile and run on Microport System V/AT,
which is certainly normal System V.  If anyone needs help with
it, send e-mail.

--
Seth J. Bradley     UUCP: uunet!{lll-winken|zorch}!dalek!sjb
		Internet: lll-winken.llnl.gov!dalek!sjb

ktw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (kenneth.t.wolman) (12/02/89)

In article <6959@cbnewsm.ATT.COM>, ktw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (kenneth.t.wolman) writes:
> I was sent code for gnuchess, but discovered that because my system
> does not have a gnu environment I cannot compile the c-code to run
> the thing.  I'm looking for UNIX-based chess that will run under
> more or less "normal" System V.  Does such a beast exist?

Cancel that order, waiter.  My system admin. took a look at the c
files and realized that what they need is to insert a define
<sys/types.h> before the times.h line.  I don't know WHY: if I knew
that, I'd never have had the problem.  In any case, typing "make"
did precisely that: quickly and without problems.  In fact, it is
portable, because--drunk with success--I uuto'd the c files from my
Amdahl-based system over to a system running on a VAX, and all I had
to do was edit out the Makefile reference to "-ltermlib" because the
compiler choked on it.

By the way, it's the best way to spend lunch hour I've found yet
in this place.