[comp.sources.wanted] C++ beautifier

luke@mtuno.ATT.COM (s.l.jones) (12/14/89)

Does anybody out there have a C++ beautifier like the UNIX cb(1)
program?  I'm especially interested in something that can hack
function headers like

	int main( int argc, char **argv ) {
		printf( "hello, world\n" );
	}

which, as you can see, is not even (necessarily) C++, but plain
vanilla ANSI C.

I don't want it bad enough to pay any money, but I promise to use
it a lot.  (I need source, since I'd use it on both UNIX and DOS.)

Ideally, this cb++ should offer all sorts of customizations.  I want
to use it to coerce other peoples code, since :-) my coding style is
already ideal.  I'd like to be able to control how it treats comments,
(including the // kind), whether spaces go inside or outside parens,
or neither, or both, where the curly braces go (of course), and how
to indent run-on expressions like
	if( condition1 && condition2 && condition3
	    && condition4 && condition5 )
		// also where to indent the line after that beast
It should also offer the choice of whether to use tabs, and, if so,
what width they should represent.

And so forth....generally speaking, the more the merrier.  It should
be so complex it has to have its own .rc file :-).

Send a man page too.  Thanks in advance.
Luke Jones
--
S. Luke Jones,  luke@mtung.att.com  or  ...!att!mtung!luke    201/957-2733
AT&T Inf###Bell Labs, Rm. MT 2E-337, 200 Laurel Ave., Middletown, NJ 07748

rdr@mdavcr.UUCP (Randolph Roesler) (12/14/89)

In article <2774@mtuno.ATT.COM> luke@mtuno.ATT.COM (s.l.jones) writes:
>Does anybody out there have a C++ beautifier like the UNIX cb(1)
>program?
>--
>S. Luke Jones,  luke@mtung.att.com  or  ...!att!mtung!luke    201/957-2733
>AT&T Inf###Bell Labs, Rm. MT 2E-337, 200 Laurel Ave., Middletown, NJ 07748
>DISCLAIMER: the opinions presented herein are solely my own, *NOT* AT&T's.
>"System Test? That's for idiots!" --- me, misquoting "Dirty" Harry Calahan

Luke, somebody enhanced indent into an indent++ (i.e. indent that could
handle C++ and Ansi code).  Indent is a much better program for beautifing
C(++) source code than cb ever was.  It has all the things you talked
about.  It works using some very basic rules.  Fairly good, and PD from
BSD freed code.

Does anybody remember who that brave feller (or lass) was.  Maybe themselves
or somebody who got the orginal indent++ could make it available to the
rest of us poor unformted slobs.

It's not the size of your signature that 	Randy Roesler
counts - it's how you use it!			MacDonald Dettwiler & Assc.
email ...!uunet!van-bc!mdavcr!rdr		BC Canada 604-278-3411