[comp.sources.wanted] Wanted: 68881 FPU emulation library

jbh@bnrunix.UUCP (John B. Hampton) (12/12/89)

We need the source for a 68881 FPU emulation library using F-line traps for
the 68030.  C source is preferred, but assembler will be gratefully
accepted.  Free/shareware, public domain, third-party, or other non-PD is
fine.  Non-IEEE conformance (as long as the routines are FAST) is also
acceptable.

Please note that we have and are at present considering the float emulation
routines in assembly from Motorola's "freeware" bulletin board in Austin
(512-891-3733;2400-N-8-1;thank you, Motorola).

Email to sender or post replies, please.

Thanks very much,
--  John
John Hampton 		UUCP: ...mcnc!rti!bnrunix!jbh
BNR, Inc.		POB 13478  RTP, NC 27709	919-991-8146

schmitz@fas.ri.cmu.edu (Donald Schmitz) (12/12/89)

In article <426@bnrunix.UUCP> jbh@bnrunix.UUCP (John B. Hampton) writes:
>We need the source for a 68881 FPU emulation library using F-line traps for
>the 68030.  C source is preferred, but assembler will be gratefully
>accepted.  Free/shareware, public domain, third-party, or other non-PD is
>fine.  Non-IEEE conformance (as long as the routines are FAST) is also
>acceptable.

Unfortunately I don't have such a library, but I wanted to mention that FP
librarys written for pre '020/030 CPUs aren't going to be as fast running on
the newer CPUs as they can be.  The '020 introduced a few bitfield
instructions, in particular BFFFO (bit field find first one), that make
floating point more efficient (although in assembler, its hard
to imagine a compiler using this instruction).  If you find a library, a
good check of how recent/good it is will be if BFFFO is in there.

Don

mrm%puffin@Sun.COM (Marianne Mueller Kreuscher) (12/14/89)

>>We need the source for a 68881 FPU emulation library using F-line traps for
>>the 68030.  [...]

Why?  I'm just curious.  Stores around here sell the MC68881 for
something like $150.

albaugh@dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh) (12/15/89)

From article <129186@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, by mrm%puffin@Sun.COM (Marianne Mueller Kreuscher):
>>>We need the source for a 68881 FPU emulation library using F-line traps for
>>>the 68030.  [...]
>

> Why?  I'm just curious.  Stores around here sell the MC68881 for
> something like $150.

	Sure is a different world out there. To some of us $150 is half the
cost of the whole board. A bit intense to let some dweeb-written code
(without source) print one floating-point number :-)

	Please note the smiley. I'm not saying this extreme example is
really common, but there are people who design production systems
(i.e., the cost is not $150, but $150 x (production run)) and there are
also people who view floating point as a slow way to get inaccurate
answers. I happen to be both.

	BTW: a) I wasn't the original poster. We can't even afford 68030's.
	b) I probably would have mailed, rather than posting, but I have
	had zero success rate with addresses containing '%' going through
	sun.
					Mike