[comp.sources.wanted] stuff tty program for SunOS 4.0 / BSD 4.23

greg@cheers.uucp (Greg Onufer) (02/05/90)

In comp.sources.wanted you write:

>Hello. I am posting this as root to "prove" I'm a system administrator,
>though I suppose anyone could forge such a message without too much
>trouble.

1) The posting (as it was received here) had no "root" in the From
   line, and as more people start owning/using workstations and
   386 unix boxes, root really is quite meaningless as an indication
   of authority (or just about anything).

2) The University of the Pacific forbids the use of "stuff" on any
   of its computers (it is grounds for account termination).  Nick
   is a student of UoP and should know this.

3) Do not mail "stuff" programs to anyone you do not know.  The
   program is dangerous only because many sites have not taken
   the proper precautions.

Cheers!greg

root@quack.UUCP (System Administrator) (02/06/90)

greg@cheers.uucp (Greg Onufer) writes:

>In comp.sources.wanted you write:

>>Hello. I am posting this as root to "prove" I'm a system administrator,
>>though I suppose anyone could forge such a message without too much
>>trouble.

>1) The posting (as it was received here) had no "root" in the From
>   line, and as more people start owning/using workstations and
>   386 unix boxes, root really is quite meaningless as an indication
>   of authority (or just about anything).

I thought posting as su would have made a root "from" line. I see it
did not. Your point about root being fairly meaningless is well
taken, however. That does not mean that my use for such a program
is not a legitimate one.

>2) The University of the Pacific forbids the use of "stuff" on any
>   of its computers (it is grounds for account termination).  Nick
>   is a student of UoP and should know this.

I have no intention of using it at uop. You should know that.
I have never used such a program at uop since that edict went
into effect. My use of that program before the edict was
only for legitimate purposes.

>3) Do not mail "stuff" programs to anyone you do not know.  The
>   program is dangerous only because many sites have not taken
>   the proper precautions.

That attitude is nothing less than pompous elitism. To those with a
ligitimate use for such a program, it is no more dangerous than
rm. The proper percautions against stuff programs are simple
and straightforward. If anyone wants to know how to guard against
such programs, just ask me and I'll tell you the details. In the mean
time, this is a sources group, and I posted a legitimate sources
request. If Mr. Onefur is unwiling to help, he should keep his
big trap shut.