[comp.sources.wanted] 8087 emulator

wsinrn@lso.win.tue.nl (Rob J. Nauta) (02/04/90)

Hello

A friend of mine asked me to post this message. He urgenly needs a program
that can emulate a 8087 on his XT. He needs it tu run some programs that
were compuiled for use with a 8087 coprocessor, instead of emulation.
Does such a program exist ? I can ftp it from fftp sites, so a pointer
to the program would be enough
Thanks in advance

Rob

--
Rob J. Nauta                        wsinrn@eutws1.win.tue.nl
L. v Lancveltlaan 18                wsinrn@lso.win.tue.nl

bverreau@mipos2.UUCP (stargazer) (02/07/90)

In article <853@tuewsd.lso.win.tue.nl> Rob writes:

> Hello
>
> A friend of mine asked me to post this message. He urgenly needs a program
> that can emulate a 8087 on his XT. He needs it tu run some programs that
> were compuiled for use with a 8087 coprocessor, instead of emulation.
> Does such a program exist ? I can ftp it from fftp sites, so a pointer
> to the program would be enough
> Thanks in advance
>
> Rob

I developed x86-hosted emulators at Intel for both the 8087 and 80287.
The 8087 emulator was released as part of the standard MDS (blue box)
development package (1981?) and is unlikely to be available.  Another
problem is that it comes in the form of a runtime library that must be
linked to relocatable object code before loading.

The 80287 emulator is backward compatible with 8087 code and requires no
relinking.  Just initialize the appropriate interrupt vector with system
calls.  This software was released as part of the 80287 Support Library
(#122461-001) (1985) and may be even available without charge from the
Insite User Program Library.  You can check with an Intel sales office:

  Intel Semiconductor Nederland B.V.     311-040-71111     Gerrit Wanrooij
  Alexander Poort Building               TLX: 844-22283
  Marten Meesweg 93
  3068 AV Rotterdam  Netherlands

` Bernie Verreau   Microprocessor Design, Intel Corp., Santa Clara, Ca.        '
'                                                                              `
` uucp: ..{hplabs|amdcad|qantel|pur-ee|scgvaxd|oliveb}!intelca!mipos2!bverreau '
' csnet/arpanet: bverreau@mipos2.intel.com                                     `

banshee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Wailin Through The Nets) (02/07/90)

In article <853@tuewsd.lso.win.tue.nl> Rob writes:
> Hello
>	I need a(n) 8087 emulator.

	simtel20.arpa has 2 I believe.  I've seen four at one time or
another on BBS'.  I think that they all require a 286 or better chip.

--
| banshee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU        | YOU CAN BE ONE WITH SATAN, JUST CALL   |