[comp.sources.wanted] WordStar Pagination Question

stidd@arisia.Xerox.COM (John M. Stidd) (02/08/90)

If you are old enough to remember WordStar and still able to sit up and
see the screen with your ancient, tired eyes, and peck at the keyboard
with your arthritic fingers, I have a question for you.

How do I force a page break from WordStar?  (What I really want to do
is generate WordStar text from a program, and feed the output text into
another program that accepts WordStar text input.  If I knew how to
force the page break from within WS, I could look at the WS text file
to see how the page break is represented.)

I don't see a way to enter a ASCII Form Feed (Ctrl-L, hex 0C) into
WordStar.  Is there some other way to force a page break?
Thanks for any help.

(RTFM, Iknow, but I don't have a manual.)

Thanks,
John
--
John Stidd
Xerox

bobcloud@ficc.uu.net (bob cloud) (02/08/90)

In article <6128@arisia.Xerox.COM>,
                stidd@arisia.Xerox.COM (John M. Stidd) writes:
> If you are old enough to remember WordStar and still able to sit up and
> see the screen with your ancient, tired eyes, and peck at the keyboard
> with your arthritic fingers, I have a question for you.

What you want is a "dot command", specifically ".np" which is for
new page.  It must be at the beginning of a line and it must be
the only thing on the line.  By the way, Wordstar is a good tool
that still does the job for many old and young folks. :-)

WTYFYS (We Thank You For Your Support). BC

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (02/08/90)

In article <6128@arisia.Xerox.COM> stidd@arisia.UUCP (John M. Stidd) writes:
>If you are old enough to remember WordStar and still able to sit up and
>see the screen with your ancient, tired eyes, and peck at the keyboard
>with your arthritic fingers, I have a question for you.

I'm 41 and started using WordStar in 1980.  Do I qualify?

>How do I force a page break from WordStar?

This was/is done with a "dot command". A line like this:

.pa

did the trick. There was no embedded control code for a page break.

>I don't see a way to enter a ASCII Form Feed (Ctrl-L, hex 0C) into
>WordStar.  Is there some other way to force a page break?

Besides the fact that Ctrl-L won't do it, you *can* enter any control
character by hitting ctrl-p first. The control-p "print functions" menu
actually inserts control characters in the text.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

burton@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Philip Burton) (02/09/90)

In article <6128@arisia.Xerox.COM> stidd@arisia.UUCP (John M. Stidd) writes:
>If you are old enough to remember WordStar and still able to sit up and
>see the screen with your ancient, tired eyes, and peck at the keyboard
>with your arthritic fingers, I have a question for you.

Yup!!! That's me.  I first used WS on a CP/M system, boys and girls.

>How do I force a page break from WordStar?  (What I really want to do
>is generate WordStar text from a program, and feed the output text

Simple.  Do control-P, and then type L.  Voila !!!

 into
>John Stidd
>Xerox

Phil Burton