[comp.sources.wanted] Good public domain stat package?

wcs) (02/09/90)

In article <25@dynasys.UUCP> jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
]I'm looking for an easy to use, but powerful public domain stats package
]for use with unix.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanx

A long time ago, Gary Perlman wrote UNIX|STAT.  He hasn't been
around on netnews for a while; does anyone know where to find it and/or him?

One of the recent XLISP releases had a stat package along with it,
so check comp.archives to find where xlisp lives.
Xlisp is a portable object-oriented lisp written in C,
and has other tools written for it like the winterp X toolkit.

Also, there have been some public domain APL systems around, which
are always a good thing to build stat packages around.
--
# Bill Stewart AT&T Bell Labs 4M312 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs

# ho95c has gone the way of all VAX/785s, so I'm now on erebus.att.com

mikes@NCoast.ORG (Mike Squires) (02/12/90)

My most recent address for Gary Perlman is "perlman@cis.ohio-state.edu".
|STAT was up to v5.4; cost was $20 for UNIX tape format, $15 for MS-DOS.
Phone was 614 292 2566.

I've not run |STAT 5.4 but |STAT 5.3 runs without modifications on a 386
XENIX box and a Sun 386i/250.  It is also quite fast, and a few checks
I made for errors (running the Longley regression test data, in particular)
were done correctly.

perlman@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Gary Perlman) (02/12/90)

In article <1990Feb11.185218.17667@NCoast.ORG> mikes@ncoast.ORG (Mike Squires) writes:
>In article <8025@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> wcs@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs) writes:
>>In article <25@dynasys.UUCP> jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
>>]I'm looking for an easy to use, but powerful public domain stats package
>>]for use with unix.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanx
>>
>>A long time ago, Gary Perlman wrote UNIX|STAT.  He hasn't been
>>around on netnews for a while; does anyone know where to find it and/or him?
>>

>My most recent address for Gary Perlman is "perlman@cis.ohio-state.edu".
>|STAT was up to v5.4; cost was $20 for UNIX tape format, $15 for MS-DOS.
>Phone was 614 292 2566.
>
>I've not run |STAT 5.4 but |STAT 5.3 runs without modifications on a 386
>XENIX box and a Sun 386i/250.  It is also quite fast, and a few checks
>I made for errors (running the Longley regression test data, in particular)
>were done correctly.

I am still around on netnews.  And the above address is correct.
|STAT is still available in a variety of formats, including the
recently added 1/4 inch catridge tape and 1.2M 5 1/4 inch format
and 3.5 inch formats for DOS machines.

I have just spent a day making |STAT fully compatible with ANSI
C on the gnu C compiler and Turbo C, while maintaining compatibility
with old UNIX compilers.  One result of this is that I have better
control over source code on DOS, and am now capable of distributing
source code on DOS (C files and TurboC .PRJ project files).  The
source will be available on DOS for $10, and will include all formatted
manual entries; only 1.2 M (HD) format will be supported.

As an aside, I found that the gnu C compiler produced much faster
code on my sun than the regular compiler, with running times ranging
from 10% to 60% of the standard.  Yes, that is correct, 10 times faster
by changing compilers!

                                 |STAT 5.4

                   DATA MANIPULATION & ANALYSIS PROGRAMS
                            FOR UNIX and MSDOS

     |STAT is a set of over 20  data  manipulation  and  analysis  programs
developed by Gary Perlman at the University of California, San Diego and at
the Wang Institute of Graduate Studies.  The programs are designed with the
UNIX  philosophy  that individual programs should be designed as tools that
do one task well and produce output suitable for input via pipes  to  other
programs.   Interactive  use  is  supported in the command line interpreter
which also provides a programming language for complex analyses.  Functions
built  into  many statistical packages (e.g., graphics and editing) are not
re-invented in |STAT which delegates such responsibility to standard tools.
Typical  usage  involves  a pipeline of transformations of data followed by
input to an analysis program, summarized schematically by:

        INPUT DATA | TRANSFORM | ANALYSIS | OUTPUT RESULTS

Data Manipulation Programs:

     abut      join data files beside each other
     colex     column extraction/formatting
     dm        conditional data extraction/transformation
     dsort     multiple key data sorting filter
     linex     line extraction
     maketrix  create matrix format file from free-format input
     perm      permute line order randomly, numerically, alphabetically
     probdist  probability distribution functions
     ranksort  convert data to ranks
     repeat    repeat strings or lines in files
     reverse   reverse lines, columns, or characters
     series    generate an additive series of numbers
     transpose transpose matrix format input
     validata  verify data file consistency

Data Analysis Programs:

     anova     multi-factor analysis of variance
     calc      interactive algebraic modeling calculator
     contab    contingency tables and chi-square
     desc      descriptions, histograms, frequency tables
     dprime    signal detection d' and beta calculations
	 features  tabulate features of items
     oneway    one-way anova/t-test with error-bar plots
     pair      paired data statistics, regression, scatterplots
     rankind   rank order analysis for independent conditions
     rankrel   rank order analysis for related conditions
     regress   multiple linear regression and correlation
     stats     simple summary statistics
     ts        time series analysis and plots

Package Features:

     simple input formats (free format field oriented)
     flexible data manipulation
     several simple lineprinter plotting options
     data validation (range and type checking)
     consistent option conventions with online help
     runs on any UNIX System (V6, V7, 2.8BSD, 4BSD, System V, etc.)
     runs on MSDOS 2.0 and 3.0 with 96K (IBM, Wang, AT&T, Epson, etc.)
     usually less than a few seconds per analysis
     liberal copyright (but can't be distributed for gain)

Notes:

     UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.
     MSDOS is a trademark of MicroSoft.
     |STAT is NOT a product of any company or organization.

Distribution Conditions:

     CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS.  IF  YOU  DO  NOT  FIND  THEM
ACCEPTABLE, YOU SHOULD NOT USE |STAT.

|STAT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.  THE
USER  ASSUMES  ALL  RISKS  OF  USING  |STAT.   THERE  IS  NO  CLAIM  OF THE
MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR  PURPOSE.   |STAT  MAY  NOT  BE
SUITED  TO  YOUR  NEEDS.   |STAT MAY NOT RUN ON YOUR PARTICULAR HARDWARE OR
SOFTWARE CONFIGURATION.  THE AVAILABILITY OF  AND  PROGRAMS  IN  |STAT  MAY
CHANGE   WITHOUT   NOTICE.    NEITHER  MANUFACTURER  NOR  DISTRIBUTOR  BEAR
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY MISHAP OR ECONOMIC LOSS RESULTING THEREFROM  OF  THE
USE  OF  |STAT  EVEN  IF  THE PROGRAMS PROVE TO BE DEFECTIVE.  |STAT IS NOT
INTENDED FOR CONSUMER USE.

CASUAL USE BY USERS NOT TRAINED IN STATISTICS, OR BY USERS  NOT  SUPERVISED
BY  PERSONS  TRAINED IN STATISTICS, MUST BE AVOIDED.  USERS MUST BE TRAINED
AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE TO LEARN TO USE THE PROGRAMS. DATA  ANALYSIS  PROGRAMS
MAKE  MANY ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT DATA, THESE ASSUMPTIONS AFFECT THE VALIDITY OF
CONCLUSIONS  MADE  BASED  ON  THE  PROGRAMS.   REFERENCES  TO   APPROPRIATE
STATISTICAL  SOURCES  ARE  MADE  IN  THE  |STAT  HANDBOOK AND IN THE MANUAL
ENTRIES FOR SPECIFIC PROGRAMS. THE PROGRAMS  HAVE NOT  BEEN  VALIDATED  FOR
LARGE DATASETS, HIGHLY VARIABLE DATA, NOR VERY LARGE NUMBERS.

YOU MAY MAKE COPIES OF ANY TANGIBLE FORMS OF |STAT, PROVIDED THAT THERE  IS
NO MATERIAL GAIN INVOLVED, AND PROVIDED THAT THE INFORMATION IN THIS NOTICE
ACCOMPANIES EVERY COPY.  YOU MAY DISTRIBUTE COPIES OF |STAT, PROVIDED  THAT
MASS  DISTRIBUTION  (SUCH  AS ELECTRONIC BULLETIN BOARDS) IS NOT USED.  YOU
MAY NOT MODIFY THE SOURCE CODE FOR ANY  PURPOSES  OTHER  THAN  GETTING  THE
PROGRAMS  TO  WORK ON YOUR SYSTEM.  ANY COSTS IN COMPILING OR PORTING |STAT
TO YOUR SYSTEM ARE YOUR'S ALONE, AND NOT ANY OTHER PARTIES.   YOU  MAY  NOT
DISTRIBUTE  ANY MODIFIED SOURCE CODE OR DOCUMENTATION TO USERS AT ANY SITES
OTHER THAN YOUR OWN.

Ordering Information 8/30/89:

     Carefully read the instructions below.  Orders not following them  may
be  be  returned or even discarded.  All prices include delivery and should
be prepaid to G. Perlman.  Checks must be in US funds, drawn on a US  bank.
Orders  that demand any terms or conditions other than those in this notice
may be returned or discarded.  Orders must include a delivery mailing label
acceptable  to  the  post office, and international orders must include the
country name on the label.

UNIX Version of |STAT: $20/$30
     Contents: Programs (C language) & Online Manual Entries
     Format:   half inch 9 track mag tape, 1600 bpi tar format
	 Format:   1/4 inch cartridge tape (this version costs $30)
MSDOS Version of |STAT: $15
     Contents: Preformatted Manuals and Executables
     Format:   2S/2D DOS 5.25 inch floppy diskettes
     Format:   1.2 Mbyte HD DOS 5.25 inch floppy diskette
MSDOS Source: $10
     Contents: C Source Code, Turbo C Project Files, Preformatted Manuals
	 Format:   1.2 Mbyte HD DOS 5.25 inch or 3.5 inch floppy
Handbook: $10
     Contents: Examples, Reference Materials, CALC & DM Manuals, Manual Entries
     Format:   Typeset Manual (over 100 pages)

Gary Perlman                   Department of Computer and Information Science
perlman@cis.ohio-state.edu     The Ohio State University
614-292-2566                   2036 Neil Avenue Mall
                               Columbus, OH 43210-1277
--
Name:  Gary Perlman               | Computer and Information Science Department
Email: perlman@cis.ohio-state.edu | Ohio State University, 228 Bolz Hall