[comp.sources.wanted] Utah Raster toolkit need!

lam@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Anthony Lam) (02/10/90)

	Can somebody in the netland send me the latest vision of Utah Raster
toolkit?  I don't have access to ftp so if someone could email me the source
it would be appreciated.

--
Tony			lam@vu-vlsi.UUCP

Anthony Lam
Department of Electrical Engineering
Villanova University, Villanova, PA 19085

clark@teda.UUCP (Chris Clark) (02/10/90)

In article <196@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU> lam@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Anthony Lam) writes:

>	Can somebody in the netland send me the latest vision of Utah Raster
>toolkit?  I don't have access to ftp so if someone could email me the source
>it would be appreciated.
>
>Tony			lam@vu-vlsi.UUCP

I have the same problem,  this is of course because RAYSHADE was just posted
and everyone who has generated output like myself wants to see it in XYZ
format.  The file BLURB.UTAH that comes with RAYSHADE specifically states
UR toolkit is too big to mail and to send $200 for a 9-track tape.

So what do we poor uucp connected ray-tracers do?  I propose posting URT
to comp.sources.unix where RAYSHADE was posted **in pieces over time**
so the world can get it.  Or at least post the Utah Runlength Encoded format
to shut me up!

Chris Clark
!{decwrl,sun}!teraida!clark
----------------

schlick@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Christophe Schlick) (02/10/90)

In article <336@teda.UUCP> clark@teraida.UUCP (Chris Clark) writes:
>In article <196@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU> lam@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Anthony Lam) writes:
>>
>>	Can somebody in the netland send me the latest vision of Utah Raster
>>toolkit?  I don't have access to ftp so if someone could email me the source
>>it would be appreciated.
>>
>>Tony			lam@vu-vlsi.UUCP
>>
>I have the same problem,  this is of course because RAYSHADE was just posted
>and everyone who has generated output like myself wants to see it in XYZ
>format.  The file BLURB.UTAH that comes with RAYSHADE specifically states
>UR toolkit is too big to mail and to send $200 for a 9-track tape.

Utah Raster Toolkit is not needed to display images generated by RayShade.
The only thing to do is to compile RayShade with the -DNORLE option. This
will prevent RayShade to output an RLE file, and makes it output an image
file very close to MTV RayTracer's one.

The format is the following :

Xsize_of_the_image		(Numerical string)
Space				(1 byte)
Ysize_of_the_image		(Numerical string)
Newline				(1 byte)
Pixel_1_red_byte		(1 byte)
Pixel_1_green_byte		(1 byte)
Pixel_1_blue_byte		(1 byte)
Pixel_2_red_byte		(1 byte)

The only difference between RayShade and MTV formats, is that the first
scanline is at the bottom of the image for Rayshade, and at the top for MTV.
The output file is in a raw, not compressed, not encoded --- and thus big ---
format, but should be easily displayed on every machine.

---
SCHLICK Christophe			...!uunet!mcvax!inria!geocub!schlick
University of Bordeaux I			schlick@geocub.greco-prog.fr

olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Olsen) (02/13/90)

clark@teda.UUCP (Chris Clark) replies:
>I have the same problem,  this is of course because RAYSHADE was just posted
>and everyone who has generated output like myself wants to see it in XYZ
>format.  The file BLURB.UTAH that comes with RAYSHADE specifically states
>UR toolkit is too big to mail and to send $200 for a 9-track tape.

An easier solution is to modify the file outputp.c and raytrace.c so the
program produces ppm files (for the pbm+ package).  It took me about 5
minutes.  All you need to do is modify the routine(s) that write the header
in outputp.c so it is a legal ppm header ("P6 <xres> <yres> 256"), and change
the loops in raytrace.c to go top to bottom instead of bottom to top.  Voila.
It might get a little stickier if you use the Linda multi-processor stuff.

John Olsen
olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM