[comp.sources.wanted] id

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) (02/23/90)

I am interested in getting source code for a lookalike of the System V
program called "id".  Any tips?

If I find none, I guess I'll write it.  Shouldn't take long.

chip@chinacat.Lonestar.ORG (Chip Rosenthal) (02/23/90)

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:
>I am interested in getting source code for a lookalike of the System V
>program called "id".  Any tips?

Yes.  Chip Salzenberg included a program called "uid" with his "deliver"
package, which is an "id" clone.  Deliver available at your friendly,
neighborhood, comp.sources.something-or-other archives.
--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  Yes, you're a happy man and you're
chip@chinacat.Lonestar.ORG                |  a lucky man, but are you a smart

>Yes.  Chip Salzenberg included a program called "uid" with his "deliver"
>package, which is an "id" clone.

Just out of curiosity, does it show the group set on systems that
support multiple groups?  The SunOS "id" does, at least in SunOS 4.x,
and I think its style of doing so may have been picked up by System V
Release 4 (another system which supports multiple groups):

	auspex% id
	uid=126(guy) gid=100(engineering) groups=100(engineering),0(wheel)

(Also, if it's truly an "id" clone - i.e., compatible with "id" - why
not just call it "id"?)