[comp.sources.wanted] Fractal programs for IBM-PC wanted

stevet@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (stephen.e.turpin) (02/07/90)

Does anyone have programs that produce fractal images on an IBM-PC?  I would
prefer C sourcecode, but will take anything that I can get.  Thanks.

Steve Turpin
ihlpm!stevet

bakke@plains.UUCP (Jeff Bakke) (02/09/90)

In article <13366@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> stevet@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (stephen.e.turpin,ihp,) writes:
>Does anyone have programs that produce fractal images on an IBM-PC?  I would
>prefer C sourcecode, but will take anything that I can get.  Thanks.
>
>Steve Turpin
>ihlpm!stevet

You might try posting these questions to comp.graphics, the response you're
looking for is posted every week or so.  In response to you question,
my best suggestion is Fractint v11.0 available via ftp from simtel20.arpa,
vega.hut.fi, numerous other sites, and compuserve.  The source code
is distributed and its probably the fastest (undoubtedly) fractal program
for the PC out there.

Jeff Bakke
bakke@plains.NoDak.edu

From: John Greenman <GREENMAN@MAINE.BITNET>
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: FANG LIZHI!! WHERE IS HE?
Date: Thursday, 8 Feb 1990 23:26:14 EST

 I READ, NOT TOO LONG AGO (LAST WEEK), THAT FANG LIZHI HAD BEEN ABLE
TO TRAVEL TO AUSTRALIA. THIS, I FIND TO BE ***VERY*** QUESTIONABLE
INFORMATION. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY LATE NEWS ABOUT FANG LIZHI??
-JOHN GREENMAN

trljim@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (02/27/90)

In article <13366@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, stevet@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (stephen.e.turpin) writes:
> Does anyone have programs that produce fractal images on an IBM-PC?  I would
> prefer C sourcecode, but will take anything that I can get.  Thanks.
>
> Steve Turpin
> ihlpm!stevet

There is a wonderful program called FRACTINT available on CompuServe in the
COMART forum and also  SIMTEL20 via anonymous FTP.  The current version
(v.11.0) can display 32 different fractal types on almost any IBM compatiable
machine with almost any video setup (Herc, CGA, EGA, MCGA, VGA, Super VGA) it
is written mostly in C by the Stone Soup Group (headed by Bert Tyler)
You  can mapiulate and change the images, zoom in or out, color cycle the
pallett and much more ..  its a must get for serious fractal observers.

some of the types of fractals supported,
Mandelbrot and Julia sets (with MANY variations)
Serpiniski
Barnsley fractals
The Lorenz Attractor
Plamsa Clouds
Newton Fractals
etc ..

Jim Sonnenmeier                  !
TRLJIM@UBVMS.BITNET  : BITNET    !    :-)
[72361,2133]  : CompuServe       !    I like to think that time and space
University at Buffalo            !    are ours to use :) ... The sky is my
Department of Mechanical/        !    joy, the wind is my lift.
Aerospace Engineering            !