[comp.sources.wanted] Free DBMS under Unix

muller@phoenix.src.umd.edu (Christophe Muller) (03/01/90)

There have been so many messages requesting a free DBMS on Unix that
I'd like to make a little summary of what is available.

 o One free DBMS is University INGRES.

   You can find it at : postgres.berkeley.edu      (128.32.149.1)
   (file ingres89.tar.Z in /pub)

   University INGRES (v8.9) has been tested on Vax and Sun3 SunOs 3.x
   it appeared there were some problems using it under SunOs 4.0
   (core dumped during the demo).

   I saw an announce of a patch, solving this problem on
   um.sun (Sun-Spots Digest, I don't know where it comes from)
   and it seems to work well now (it is not a warranty, ok? :-)
   Following is the message and the patch archive address.

 o Postgres is also available in the same directory (v1r2)

   Postgres seems to run only on SUN3 under SunOS 3.x according to the
   README file.

 o It doesn't seem to exist another free DBMS ! If you know something new,
   please post a follow-up on comp.databases. Thx.

Cheers,
Christophe.

 = Got thirteen channels of shit on the T.V. to choose from ...to choose from =

------------------------------
Date:    Tue, 6 Feb 90 23:46:37 JST
From:    Motomichi Toyama <toyama@ae.keio.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: University Ingres on a Sparc Station 1

   >From: rod@brillig.umd.edu (Rodrigo Fontecilla)
   >Date: 29 Jan 90 18:52:02 GMT
   >
   >I just ftp-ed University Ingres and succesfully compiled it on my
   >SparcStation 1 running SUNOS 4.0.3. However, when I tried to use the demo
   >relation it blows up. Most commands work but the most important: retrieve
   >does not. Below is the ingres session. Any suggestions?  Recompile with
   >different options? I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks in
   >advance.

I made the following patch to make ingres8.9 runnable on my SparcStation1.
It hasn't been tested extensively, but seems work properly.

Assuming the current directory is ~ingres/source. You can patch the
sources via the command:

                patch -p0 < ingres.patch

[[Ed's Note: placed in archives at Rice.]]

FTP:    Hostname : titan.rice.edu (128.42.1.30)
        Directory: sun-source
        Filename : ingres.patch

Archive Server Address: archive-server@rice.edu
Archive Server Command: send sun-source ingres.patch