[comp.sources.wanted] twin --- a different kind of diff

istvan@hhb.UUCP (Istvan Mohos) (03/22/90)

sena@infinet.UUCP (Fred Sena) writes:
> I have a weird request.  Does anyone have a program which can compare two
> files and produce as output one of the input files with the changes added and
> highlighted.  Diff just shows the changes between two files, without the
> similar text.

Source (C and Unix) is posted today to alt.sources for a twin file viewer
approximating your requirements.  The compared files should be ASCII and
optimally, contain minor differences only.  The first page of the display
lists the available commands for perusing and vertically adjusting the files
in tandem, or relative to each other.  Sorry I have no time for a man page,
but the program's operation is intuitively obvious.

--
        Istvan Mohos
        ...uunet!pyrdc!pyrnj!hhb!istvan

mcw@ukc.ac.uk (M.C.Wheadon) (03/23/90)

sena@infinet.UUCP (Fred Sena) writes:
> I have a weird request.  Does anyone have a program which can compare two
> files and produce as output one of the input files with the changes added and
> highlighted.  Diff just shows the changes between two files, without the
> similar text.

If you are running the X Windows system, or have a Sun3/4 running
SunView then we have just what you need.  It's called vdiff, and it's
an interactive graphical tool that displays the two files side by side
and highlights the differences.  Each file can be scrolled and vdiff
keeps the two syncronised.  The down side is that it costs money -
email me for more details.

Cheers
--
   __