[comp.sources.wanted] vi look-alike editor

slw@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Joseph J. Nuspl Jr.) (03/23/90)

I am looking for a vi type text editor to be used under Ms-Dos.

I work on both Ms-Dos and Unix machines and I would like to have a vi
look-alike to modify text files, instead of using edlin of loading
up my word processor.

Thanks in advance,
	Joe

+---------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
|      Joseph J Nuspl Jr          |             Shreve Hall               |
|   slw@mentor.cc.purdue.edu      |          Purdue University            |
+---------------------------------+      West Lafayette,  IN 47906        |
| "When in doubt, dump the core." |           (317) 495 - 5376            |
+---------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (03/23/90)

In article <8749@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> slw@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Joseph J. Nuspl Jr.) writes:
>I am looking for a vi type text editor to be used under Ms-Dos.
>
>I work on both Ms-Dos and Unix machines and I would like to have a vi
>look-alike to modify text files, instead of using edlin of loading
>up my word processor.

You want jstevie.  As soon as it's stable it will be posted to a sources
news group.

dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (03/24/90)

In article <16666@ethz-inf.UUCP> wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) writes:
>You want jstevie.  As soon as it's stable it will be posted to a sources
>news group.

I missed the base posting, but if the reproduced part catches the essence
of it, Stevie will do fine.  It was posted a few weeks ago to
comp.sources.misc, with a bug-fix (and the missing file ascii.h)
posted to comp.sources.d.

I am currently typing this in on Stevie from a UNIX machine.  I use
the same editor on MSDOS, and the posting also includes Make information
for OS/2, MINIX, and the Atari ST.  Someone is also working on a
VMS port.

If there's something in the original posting that renders Stevie
inadequate for the task, well....  "Never mind"

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!pegasus!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2194					|

wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (03/24/90)

dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) writes:

>>You want jstevie.  As soon as it's stable it will be posted to a sources
>>news group.
>
>I missed the base posting, but if the reproduced part catches the essence
>of it, Stevie will do fine.  It was posted a few weeks ago to
>comp.sources.misc, with a bug-fix (and the missing file ascii.h)
>posted to comp.sources.d.
>
>I am currently typing this in on Stevie from a UNIX machine.  I use
>the same editor on MSDOS, and the posting also includes Make information
>for OS/2, MINIX, and the Atari ST.  Someone is also working on a
>VMS port.

jstevie is much much much better.  It includes ex ":" commands, macros
and a lot of bug fixes.  It can edit kanji and other 8-bit stuff.  I
just added the :so (source) command, the :! (shell escape) and fixed
some macro interpretation.  It is not really stable yet but the authors
were kind enough to send me out a "current" version upon which to hack.

>If there's something in the original posting that renders Stevie
>inadequate for the task, well....  "Never mind"

ex commands, bugs, no 8-bit char sets, ...

I'll send it if you're in europe, and I'll make it available via anon ftp
if I get enough requests...

-Mitch