[comp.sources.wanted] Prodigy OCR software and .ocr format - ???

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (04/08/90)

In article <1525@dali>, icsg8003@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Swenson) writes:
> I just bought a scanman plus, and want some OCR  software  for  it.  The
> PRODIGY  OCR  software  seems  reasonable  at  $49.95.  Does anyone know
> anything about it?  More specificly:

The Prodigy OCR software was included with the GeniScan 4500 handscanner
I just bought. I spent a half of a day trying to get it to work with
little success. As least as far as hand scanners are concered the software
appears to be almost useless. The error rate was so high that I would
have spent more time correcting the errors, than typing all the text in
to begin with. And that was in the best case. In the worst case the
output was gibberish.

This problem may mainly be with using input from a hand scanner. I
read the some/most OCR programs have problems with recognizing letters
that are tilting slighly. Hand scanners don't seemd to be able to
read the text in perfectly level. I understand that some more expensive
OCR software can adjust for the angle correction.

I did't see any big improvements even when I was scanning example text
for the prelearned fonts from the manual.

If anyone knows the majic word to get this software to work, Please
let me know.
--
Joel Upchurch/Upchurch Computer Consulting/718 Galsworthy/Orlando, FL 32809
joel@peora.ccur.com {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd,ucf-cs}!peora!joel (407) 859-0982