[comp.sources.wanted] Looking for PC UUCP and news

guest@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (visitors) (04/10/90)

In article <1990Apr5.130222.1547@chance.UUCP> john@chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) writes:

>I'm sure this has come up a lot, but a friend is interested in
>running UUCP and news on a PC.  Could someone please send or post a
>summary of what's available (commercial or PD) and the pros and cons?

I have successfully used two programs, Waffle and UUPC/Extended.  Both
actually worked on my system, and both were easy to install.  I stopped
using UUPC after I got Waffle (right now version 1.61) because it handles
USENET news.  Both are available from the SIMTEL20 archives.

Waffle has a few bugs in it, but they are being worked on by the author.
My waffle site has been up since the end of March, and so far I have had
no problems.  I have done some uucp transfers, news (it handles compressed
batch), and mail.  Although I haven't tried it, it can also be set up as
a nifty little BBS that supports anon uucp login, as well.

There are other programs, but they either didn't work on my system, or I
have not used them.

--
-----
Mark Schaffer    Dept. of Chemical Engineering    Villanova University