[comp.sources.wanted] read mac floppies under unix

etxtorn@juno11.ericsson.se (Thomas Tornblom Konsult TM/JU 99367) (05/30/90)

I know this isn't the newsgroup but I couldn't let this pass...

In article <711@zinn.MV.COM> mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) writes:
>That's true for the original, flat-directory filesystem discs.  You simply
>can not read them on standard floppy devices.
>
>However, Macs that can read/write 1.44MB 3-1/2" floppies use standard
>drives and controllers, but also have a fairly elaborate directory
>structure with a couple of B-tree index files.  This is called the
>Hierarchical File System.  (See your Inside Mac, volume 5 I think.)

The filesystem has nothing to do with the type of drive you have in your mac.
MFS (the old flat filesystem) was long ago abandoned), my old + has the
800K drive and has had HFS from the time I inserted the first disk.

The hi-density drive (FDHD, 1.4M) is NOT a standard drive, it can read/write
the old 800K format.