[comp.sources.wanted] Source code for KSH wanted

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) (05/25/90)

In article <3598@3comvax.SPD.3Com.Com> stuartb@vax.SPD.3Com.Com (Stuart Biggs) writes:

>Does anyone know if public domain source code for ksh exists? If so,
>where can I get a copy?
>
>Thanks in advance

Yes, sources for a PD implementation of ksh do exist.

They are available by anonymous ftp from ccb.ucsf.edu [128.218.1.13]
in ~ftp/Pub/Pd_ksh.  Thanks to Thos Sumner for making them available
there.

Ok everybody, write that address down...

Also, if anbody has been able to get that version of ksh to
work, please let me know.  I've tried compiling it, but it's
too much trouble, and just got bash from FSF instead.

-greg

--
Gregory A. Gulik
	greg@gagme.chi.il.us  ||  ...!gagme!greg
	||  gulik@depaul.edu

wcs) (05/26/90)

In article <3598@3comvax.SPD.3Com.Com> stuartb@vax.SPD.3Com.Com (Stuart Biggs) writes:
]Does anyone know if public domain source code for ksh exists? If so,
]where can I get a copy?

The REAL ksh is a commercial product of AT&T.  Source license is
available for a reasonable fee (I think someone said about $3K for a
site license.)  You can log in to the AT&T Toolchest (a sales BBS)
at 1-201-522-6900, 1200 baud, login guest password guest.

There are several clones of ksh out there, notably the MSDOS version
from the MKS Toolkit, though that isn't source.  There was a
public-domain version being worked on for a while;  I'm not sure how
far it got.  There's also bash, available from the GNU archives,
which is similar but brobably not identical to ksh.
--
# Bill Stewart AT&T Bell Labs 4M312 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs
# Fax 949-4876.  Sometimes found at Somerset 201-271-4712

# The Drug War isn't about stopping drugs, it's about electing politicians.

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (05/26/90)

In <1990May25.181658.28953@cbnewsh.att.com> wcs@cbnewsh.att.com (Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs) writes:

>The REAL ksh is a commercial product of AT&T.  Source license is
>available for a reasonable fee (I think someone said about $3K for a
>site license.)  You can log in to the AT&T Toolchest (a sales BBS)
>at 1-201-522-6900, 1200 baud, login guest password guest.

That's hardly a reasonable fee, particularly when bash can be had for
free.  Free Software Foundation, yea!  (I may not be a emacs convert,
but the FSF is a great project)

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Average fine in Barvaria, West Germany for calling a traffic officer a damischer

hb@bdblues.inria.fr (Bertrand Hutin (GIP-Syseca Logiciel)) (06/06/90)

I'm looking for it too, or a binary for sun3.
Thanks.

terry@eesun1.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (06/07/90)

hb@bdblues.inria.fr (Bertrand Hutin (GIP-Syseca Logiciel)) writes:

>I'm looking for it too, or a binary for sun3.
KSH is a commercial product available from the AT&T toolchest in
source form or from Aspen Technologies in binary form.  If you
want ksh without ksh's price, use GNU's bash instead.

--

Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

greim@sbsvax.cs.uni-sb.de (Michael Greim) (06/08/90)

In article <874@seti.inria.fr>, hb@bdblues.inria.fr (Bertrand Hutin (GIP-Syseca Logiciel)) writes:
> I'm looking for it too, or a binary for sun3.
> Thanks.

(Could not mail you directly, please check your address)

The original ksh is a commercial product, sold, I believe, by AT&T.
The GNU bash immitates some behaviour, but I found it to be quite
buggy still.

Recently I located the source of a public domain ksh on a system
and transferred it to our systems here. I did some changes to make
the program compile on both SUN OS 3.5 and BSD 4.3. You can get the
program and patches via ftp from sbsvax.cs.uni-sb.de (134.96.252.31) in
directory pub/pd-ksh.
It is not a complete rewrite of the ksh. If you want to extend it
you are welcome.

If you find bugs, I would appreciate it if you sent them to me, but
don't expect quick bug fixes, as I did not write this program and
am looking after it only in my sparse spare time.

Have fun,
	-mg

--
 .-. .-.  .-.  Michael Greim