[comp.sources.wanted] Binary File Viewer/Editor.....

risner@ms.uky.edu (James Risner) (06/07/90)

We have bed (binary editor) locally, but I was wondering if a more
advanced editor exists?  One that could use hexadecimal numbers more
easily and one that displays BOTH the hexadecimal value (8-bit) and
the text equivalent?  Like some of the PC disk sector viewers, but for
Unix files.  If anyone knows if a program like this exists or where
some sources has archived then I would love to hear from you....

We have the 4 June 1985 version of bed.

Thanks,
James Risner

--
risner@ms.uky.edu
"Here, take this quarter and go downstairs to have a rat GNAW that

istvan@hhb.UUCP (Istvan Mohos) (06/09/90)

risner@ms.uky.edu (James Risner @ U of Ky) writes:
>We have bed (binary editor) locally, but I was wondering if a more
>advanced editor exists?  One that could use hexadecimal numbers more
>easily and one that displays BOTH the hexadecimal value (8-bit) and
>the text equivalent?  Like some of the PC disk sector viewers, but for
>Unix files.  If anyone knows if a program like this exists or where
>some sources has archived then I would love to hear from you....

What I got is a binary un-editor (in the style of the un-cola),
that converts from/to binary but lets you use your own editor
(vi, emacs, etc.) to manipulate the human-readable version.
Somewhat inconveniently, OBJED relies on sundry library routines
of ILIB, a library I was not going to post "before its time".
But since you asked for it...

I am posting today to alt.sources, the ILIB Toolkit, in nine parts.
The source resides in three parallel directories:
   i    contains the C source and the makefile to create ilib.a,
   iex  contains standalone C programs (tools) that depend on ilib,
   iman contains "man pages" describing ilib and the tools, in TeX.

The target environment of the package is SysV or BSD Unix.
OBJED is one of the thirtyfive tools in iex.
--
        Istvan Mohos
        ...uunet!pyrdc!pyrnj!hhb!istvan