[comp.sources.wanted] PD login wanted

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (06/11/90)

I'm looking for the source for a (any) public domain functional
replacement for /etc/login.  We are working on a service on a Sun
whereby users will be tipped directly (possibly anonymously and without
requiring a login sequence) into an on-line service based on the
transport subaddress which they have called, using standard handles in
Sun's X25/X29 software.  Problem is, the Sun stuff completely bypasses
/etc/login, and so various things which should be done don't get done.
(In particular, users do not show up to 'who' and are not warned by
'wall'.)  So, we want to produce a wrapper which will do (most of) the
standard login stuff before letting the user in.

We were too mean to get a source license, so I can't simply hack up
Sun's source.  Similarly, for licensing reasons, I don't want a bootleg
of any manufacturer's stuff.  Anyone got a 'public' such thing they
could share with me?  (rlogin from vol 4 of the Unix archives sounds
like it might do, but the archives available to me on this side of the
pond don't go back far enough.  I can't, or at least haven't discovered
how to, get at non-UK archive sites.)

Failing that, anyone got a good and complete description of the various
things which login sets up on the way in?  TFM doesn't -- at least my
FM, unless it's hidden in a particularly obscure place.  Or, a pointer
to a book I'd be likely to be able to find?

Mail directly to me would probably be best -- I doubt this is of general
interest.  Also, if you have such a beast you could mail me, it would
probably be a good idea to mail me an offer of it first -- so as not
to clog the net with millions of copies of a source file if there are
lots of offers.

Thanks...

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (06/13/90)

In article <1990Jun11.105027.16511@gdr.bath.ac.uk> P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk (Paul Smee) writes:
>I'm looking for the source for a (any) public domain functional
>replacement for /etc/login...

I've had lots of offers of assistance now, so don't need any more (just
to save bandwidth).  I'm going to try to respond to everyone
individually, but to cover the inevitable mail-bounces, thanks to
everyone who has answered, or who would have if they hadn't seen this
first.  Far as taking the offers up, in the interests of minimizing the
worldwide sigma-work, I'm going to try things I can drive totally from
this end first, followed if necessary by nearest-site-first acceptances
of offers.

Thanks again, everyone.  Cheers...