[comp.sources.wanted] AWK

mark@hsi.UUCP (Mark Sicignano) (07/28/87)

I'm looking for an Awk program to run on my MS-DOS machine.  I would like to
find a source in the public domain, but any info on a version which isn't
public domain would be very helpful too.

Thanks,

-mark
--

Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!mark
Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511

tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) (07/30/87)

In article <659@hsi.UUCP>, mark@hsi.UUCP (Mark Sicignano) writes:
> I'm looking for an Awk program to run on my MS-DOS machine.  I would like to
> find a source in the public domain, but any info on a version which isn't
> public domain would be very helpful too.

Mortice Kern Systems, 43 Bridgeport Road East, Waterloo,
Ontario, Canada N2J 2J4 (519)884-2251
{allegra, decvax, ihnp4}!watmath!mks!toolkit

has a product called MKS Toolkit, that includes many UNIX
utilities, including awk, for the PC.  It costs $139.
We've used it, and have been quite happy with it.

It is not public domain.
--
Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks

darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (07/31/87)

In comp.sources.wanted, mark@hsi.UUCP (Mark Sicignano) writes:

> I'm looking for an Awk program to run on my MS-DOS machine.  I would like to
> find a source in the public domain, but any info on a version which isn't
> public domain would be very helpful too.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -mark
> --
>
> Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!mark
> Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
> Bell :  (203) 562-2101  ext. 32
> ----------

     On some BBSes, there is a program called BAWK, which purports to be a
"version" of awk for MSDOS.  It usually comes with sources only (i.e., NO
executables).  Out of curiosity, I compiled it -- and managed to do it --
but that's about it.  I really don't know if it works, or, if it does work,
how well it works (I don't know much about awk -- the only time I tried to
use awk on UN*X, I couldn't because of a bug in UN*X awk).

     -- Darryl Okahata
	{hplabs!hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpsrla!darrylo
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.

rand@mks.UUCP (07/31/87)

In article <659@hsi.UUCP>, mark@hsi.UUCP (Mark Sicignano) writes:
> I'm looking for an Awk program to run on my MS-DOS machine.  I would like to
> find a source in the public domain, but any info on a version which isn't
> public domain would be very helpful too.
> Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!mark
> Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
> Bell :  (203) 562-2101  ext. 32

(MKS) has a version of AWK as just one of the over 110 programs of the
MKS Toolkit.  The Toolkit is available now from the address below
for $139 (US).

Also, the same AWK unbundled (called MKS AWK) is scheduled for release
on October 1, 1987 and will sell for $75 list (+$14 for the optional
AWK book, as below).

The MKS version of AWK is the only (known) MS-DOS implementation that
supports all the latest features in the (soon-to-be) standard reference
book for AWK "The AWK Programming Language" by Aho, Weinberger, and Kernighan
which will be published in September 1987.  These features include:
	- function definition
	- static and dynamic regular expression matching and substitution
	- multi-dimensioned arrays
plus all the standard V7, BSD, and System V features of the "old" awk.
--
     ll  // // ,~/~~\'   Randall Howard {decvax,ihnp4,seismo}!watmath!mks!rand
    /ll/// //l' `\\\     Mortice Kern Systems Inc.

tan@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Bill Tanenbaum) (08/01/87)

In article <646@ora.UUCP>, tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) writes:
< Mortice Kern Systems, 43 Bridgeport Road East, Waterloo,
< Ontario, Canada N2J 2J4 (519)884-2251
< {allegra, decvax, ihnp4}!watmath!mks!toolkit
< has a product called MKS Toolkit, that includes many UNIX
< utilities, including awk, for the PC.  It costs $139.
< We've used it, and have been quite happy with it.
< It is not public domain.
--------------
When I called up MKS to order version 2.2 of the toolkit, they
told me to order it from an outfit in Ohio called Programmers
Connection.  It was only $99 (US).  I am very happy with it,
especially the Korn shell and vi.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (08/02/87)

In article <284@mks.UUCP> rand@mks.UUCP (Randall Howard) writes:
>In article <659@hsi.UUCP>, mark@hsi.UUCP (Mark Sicignano) writes:
>> I'm looking for an Awk program to run on my MS-DOS machine.  I would like to
>> find a source in the public domain, but any info on a version which isn't
>> public domain would be very helpful too.
>> Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!mark
>> Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
>> Bell :  (203) 562-2101  ext. 32

Well ... GNU isn't exactly public domain, but they do have an AWK.

It's called "GAWK" ... The last I heard was that it was in Beta test,
and since I'm a beta tester for it I suppose I'd have heard if it
had come out of beta-stage....

I don't have any documentation, so I'm not for sure of this ... but
I believe this awk doesn't have any of the V8 features like procedures.

It oughta be portable to MS-DOS ... and if it aint, then I'm sure
they'd love it if you ported it there for them ... :-)
--
----- David Herron,  Local E-Mail Hack,  david@ms.uky.edu, david@ms.uky.csnet
-----                            {uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) (08/04/87)

In article <3430003@hpsrlc.HP.COM> darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:
>     On some BBSes, there is a program called BAWK, which purports to be a
>"version" of awk for MSDOS.  It usually comes with sources only (i.e., NO
>executables).  Out of curiosity, I compiled it -- and managed to do it --
>but that's about it.  I really don't know if it works, or, if it does work,
>how well it works (I don't know much about awk -- the only time I tried to
>use awk on UN*X, I couldn't because of a bug in UN*X awk).
 Well, I can't claim to be an expert on awk, but I've used bawk and it seems
to work.  It doesn't implement the full awk, but the parts that it does do
it does correctly.  I have taken a script written for bawk and used it on
the real thing with no problem except for a slight incompatibility in how
the FILENAME internal variable is handled (sorry, I don't remember the
details except that there was an incompatibility).
  You will want to make sure that the #define in the bawk
code to set the line length (don't remember the name, but it's something
obvious) is set to something good and long.  Strange things happen when
it reads in a too-long line, and the original line-length value of 128
wasn't long enough for what I was doing.
  If you can't find it at a local BBS, Sourcery Systems BBS has it.
Their number is 405-728-2463.  They've got all sorts of other goodies too.
As I recall, they have both C source and executable for BAWK.
Richard Todd
USSnail:820 Annie Court,Norman OK 73069
UUCP: {allegra!cbosgd|ihnp4}!occrsh!uokmax!rmtodd

sjs@netcom.UUCP (Stephen Schow) (07/03/90)

Does anyone know if there is a GNU version of awk or any version of awk that
I can get and compile to run on a mac os?