[comp.sources.wanted] remote cpio

vlr@dynsim2.uucp (Vic Rice) (07/28/90)

root@mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
>My interest here is that I want to be able to backup my SCO Unix
>system over the ethernet between it and my other unix box using
>something like cpio that will allow me to span volumes.  If that
>can already be done with existing cpio and rcmd constructs, I would
>love to hear about them.

Try this for backup:

# find ./ -print | cpio -ocv | rcmd node dd of=/dev/rct0

And this for restore:

# rcmd node dd if=/dev/rct0 | cpio -icv

The tape device is rct0 in my examples. The remote machine, node,
will be whatever your remote system name is.
--
Dr. Victor L. Rice
Litwin Process Automation

josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers) (07/30/90)

In <1990Jul28.153110.14759@dynsim2.uucp> vlr@dynsim2.uucp (Vic Rice) writes:

>root@mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
>>My interest here is that I want to be able to backup my SCO Unix
>>system over the ethernet between it and my other unix box using
>>something like cpio that will allow me to span volumes.  If that
>>can already be done with existing cpio and rcmd constructs, I would
>>love to hear about them.

>Try this for backup:

># find ./ -print | cpio -ocv | rcmd node dd of=/dev/rct0

>And this for restore:

># rcmd node dd if=/dev/rct0 | cpio -icv

>The tape device is rct0 in my examples. The remote machine, node,
>will be whatever your remote system name is.
>--
>Dr. Victor L. Rice
>Litwin Process Automation

If all this doesn't help, I have recently written a set of programs that
simulate a pipe over TCP/IP using sockets. I used it for the very same
purpose that You need it: to backup (part of) an SCO UNIX system where
the machine only has floppies.

You start the "receiver" on the remote machine like
	receiver 12345 > /dev/rmt0
The 12345 is the "port number". The program then sits and waits for data
to arrive over the ethernet.

The You start the sender on the local machine like
	find . -print | cpio -ov | sender remote:12345
and ... voila it works.

Want it? Drop me a line!
--
| Josef Moellers		|	c/o Nixdorf Computer AG	|
|  USA: mollers.pad@nixbur.uucp	|	Abt. PXD-S14		|