[comp.sources.wanted] comparing words

bob@bdofed.UUCP (n) (08/01/90)

I'm looking for software that will allow the comparison of words
even if one is misspelled. What I need to do is similar to a spell
checker. I get a word and I want to check a list to see if there
is a match in a list of words. It should handle transposed characters,
missing characters and other such things.

If you know of any routines to perform this task please send me
email. If there is enough information I will summarize to the net.

	bob	uunet!bdofed!bob

gtoal@tharr.UUCP (Graham Toal) (08/04/90)

In article <264@bdofed.UUCP> bob@bdofed.UUCP (n) writes:
>I'm looking for software that will allow the comparison of words
>even if one is misspelled. What I need to do is similar to a spell
>checker. I get a word and I want to check a list to see if there
>is a match in a list of words. It should handle transposed characters,
>missing characters and other such things.

I posted some spelling-checker internal routines to alt.sources a
month or so back.  They handle the 4 major typo sources and include
a crude soundex algorithm. Also I've just about finished a more
accurate phonetic spelling corrector.  I can't mail to uucp addresses
from my home machine, so could you get in touch with me by mail via
whichever of these gateways is appropriate to you: earn-relay.ac.uk,
nsfnet-relay.ac.uk, or ean-relay.ac.uk  -- anything *EXCEPT* ukc :-(

>If you know of any routines to perform this task please send me
>email. If there is enough information I will summarize to the net.
Sorry I can't mail.  Hope the net gods don't object to this posting ;-)

Graham Toal <gtoal@ed.ac.uk>  (Ignore where this came from...)