[comp.sources.wanted] Time reporting tools

larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) (08/09/90)

I want to automate our archaic, manual timesheet system.

Every week we have to fill out these silly paper(!) forms reporting
how much time we spent on which projects. Then someone must type all
this info in to some other system.

This is crazy.

It does not much matter how we enter the data, it would be nice simply
to be able to type it in every day and have the results posted to the
proper authorities each week.

It may be based on
. a database (informix for example)
. a spreadsheet (sco professional (lotus look-a-like) for example)
. flat ascii files created by shell scripts and processed by awk or
  perl or ??
. ??

Any suggestions? Pointers? Help?

-Larry

ssdken@watson.Claremont.EDU (Ken Nelson) (08/09/90)

In article <LARRY.90Aug8122254@focsys.uucp>, larry@focsys.uucp (Larry
Williamson) writes:

|> I want to automate our archaic, manual timesheet system.
|>
|> Every week we have to fill out these silly paper(!) forms reporting
|> how much time we spent on which projects. Then someone must type all
|> this info in to some other system.
|>
|> This is crazy.
|>
|> It does not much matter how we enter the data, it would be nice simply
|> to be able to type it in every day and have the results posted to the
|> proper authorities each week.
|>
|> It may be based on
|> . a database (informix for example)
|> . a spreadsheet (sco professional (lotus look-a-like) for example)
|> . flat ascii files created by shell scripts and processed by awk or
|>   perl or ??
|> . ??

   It seems to me that any system must have access to whatever
   system that "other person" is entering the data into.

   So, if you have access why not have everybody just type it
   directly into the system the "other person" is typing it
   into.

   If that is not feasible, then I imagine a system could be
   fashioned out of any of the approaches you mentioned. But
   they would still require some kind of access to the final
   time tracking system. AWK would do it very easily using
   associative arrays indexed by project names etc.....

		Good luck,

				Ken Nelson
				Principal Engineer
				Software Systems Design
				3627 Padua Av.
				Claremont, CA 91711
				(714) 624-3402

kjj@varese.UUCP (Kevin Johnson) (08/09/90)

In article <LARRY.90Aug8122254@focsys.uucp> larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) writes:
>I want to automate our archaic, manual timesheet system.
>
>It does not much matter how we enter the data, it would be nice simply
>to be able to type it in every day and have the results posted to the
>proper authorities each week.
>
>It may be based on
>. a database (informix for example)
>. a spreadsheet (sco professional (lotus look-a-like) for example)
>. flat ascii files created by shell scripts and processed by awk or
>  perl or ??
>. ??

IMHO..

Especially if you want historical analysis, you might find that
a database package is the only package of the ones listed above
designed to handle a non-trivial amount of information.
That is, unless you're talking about 3 men in a tub :-)

If one is in a multi-machine environment, it might be handy to build it
under a client-server model.  The idea here being:
	a.  The server accepts a simple predefined format for transactions.
	b.  The client can any form that provides the required format
	    to the server.
	c.  The transmission could be performed via email or
	    via a network socket.
This would be especially handy in a programming environment because the
transactions could easily be built into the environment as a
programmer/department saw fit.
Some examples:
	a. a new emacs mode/window (sorta like buffer-menu ?)
	b. shell scripts/aliases
	c. an Motif radio-button window

Me - I work in one department as sysadm so I only work under one 'project'. :-)

#include <standard_disclaimer>
| Kevin Johnson                                      ...!mcdphx!QIS1!kjj      |
| QIS System Administrator  Motorola MCD             kjj@phx.mcd.mot.com      |