[comp.sources.wanted] split screen chat

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) (08/26/90)

Seems like I remember someone talking about a split screen chat/talk
program being available.  One where you have a "window" for each user
on line, with all users seeing what the others are typing in "real
time".

Does this sound familiar to anyone? And if so, where can the source be
obtained?
Thanks....
Scotty
ozdaltx!sysop

noraa@cbnewsk.att.com (aaron.l.hoffmeyer) (08/27/90)

In article <6908@ozdaltx.UUCP> root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:
>Seems like I remember someone talking about a split screen chat/talk
>program being available.  One where you have a "window" for each user
>on line, with all users seeing what the others are typing in "real
>time".
>
>Does this sound familiar to anyone? And if so, where can the source be
>obtained?
>Thanks....
>Scotty
>ozdaltx!sysop

It sounds familiar - in fact, I have seen/used such a program.  It was
called "phone" and the system administrator on my last machine got it
from OSU.  The version we were using was kind of buggy in that it would
hang and leave the program in a state where it wouldn't run properly
for anyone else.  It would only hang when someone tried to do something
stupid from within the program.  Hopefully that kind of bug has been
addressed in updates of the program.  Now for the bad news - I don't
have the source code (or even the executable) on my new machine and I
don't have access to the old source code.  Besides, you would be better
off getting a newer version.  At least now you know of a name to look
for.

Phone worked exactly as you describe.

Aaron L. Hoffmeyer
att!cbnea!tr