[comp.sources.wanted] Dividing words into syllables

MAYER-A@RICEVM1.BITNET (David Mayer) (08/18/90)

I am writing an application which needs to divide words into syllables.
I suspect that there must be existing routines which can do this. Does
anyone know where I could get such a beast??

Alternately, does anyone know of any standard rules for dividing English
words into syllables?  I would be happy to write the routine myself if
I only new the rules.  And some rules must exist--word processors, for
example, can decide where to divide words.

Any help would be most appreciated.

     David Mayer
     Bitnet: MAYER-A@RICEVM1

MAYER-A@RICEVM1.BITNET (David Mayer) (08/18/90)

Does anyone know where I could get a routine which divides words into
syllables.  Such an animal _must_ exist...my word processor knows how
to divide words at the end of a line.  I would even be happy to write
my own routine if I knew of a set of rules for dividing words.

Any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks,

David Mayer
Bitnet: MAYER-A@RICEVM1

ucbked@athena.berkeley.edu (08/20/90)

In article <1755MAYER-A@RICEVM1> MAYER-A@RICEVM1.BITNET (David Mayer) writes:
>I am writing an application which needs to divide words into syllables.
>I suspect that there must be existing routines which can do this. Does
>anyone know where I could get such a beast??

You might look at the discussion and code in chapter 7, "Hyphenation,"
in Allen Holub, C CHEST AND OTHER C TREASURES FROM DR. DOBB'S JOURNAL
(M & T Books, 1987).

Earl H. Kinmonth

walter@hpsadle.HP.COM (Walter Coole) (09/01/90)

You might want to examine the algorithm used by TeX, which does a darn good
job: the TeXbook or the Liang thesis Stanford 1983.