[comp.sources.wanted] Microsoft Word ->

weigele@fbihh.UUCP (Martin Weigele) (08/22/90)

Has anyone heard about such a programm (that converts Word Files
into (La)TeX files?) I am NOT talking about Word Perfect, but
Microsoft Word. It could be MSDOS or Mac based, or some generic source.
Any help much appreciated, thanks,

Martin Weigele, FB Informatik, Uni Hamburg.

weigele@fbihh.UUCP (Martin Weigele) (09/03/90)

weigele@fbihh.UUCP (Martin Weigele) writes:

>Has anyone heard about such a programm (that converts Word Files
>into (La)TeX files?) I am NOT talking about Word Perfect, but
>Microsoft Word. It could be MSDOS or Mac based, or some generic source.

Thanks for all the mail concerning this matter, even though mostly
asking me for a summary. Here it is:

- Nobody seems to know about a programme MS Word -> (La)TeX.

- Dave (fetrow@bones.biostat.washington.edu) suggested to do
Word -(A)-> Word Perfect -(B)-> LaTeX.

 (A) means commercial software (that comes with Word Perfect, I guess),
 (B) is the meanwhile well known wp2latex shareware. I havent't been
 able to try it since nobody around here uses Word Perfect, but I'ld
 assume that you might expect a lot of loss of formatting information
 inbetween all these transformations. Therefore we continue to
 do hand translation (what we did before the net request):

- Save MS Word files as text. Convert it to LaTeX by editing.
Or write a conversion programme and post it to the net...

Martin Weigele, FB Informatik, Bodenstedtstr. 16, D-2000 Hamburg 50,
WEST GERMANY.

mrys@ethz.UUCP (Michael Rys) (09/04/90)

In article <449@fbihh.UUCP> weigele@fbihh.UUCP (Martin Weigele) writes:
>weigele@fbihh.UUCP (Martin Weigele) writes:
>
>>Has anyone heard about such a programm (that converts Word Files
>>into (La)TeX files?) I am NOT talking about Word Perfect, but
>>Microsoft Word. It could be MSDOS or Mac based, or some generic source.
>
>Thanks for all the mail concerning this matter, even though mostly
>asking me for a summary. Here it is:
>

>- Nobody seems to know about a programme MS Word -> (La)TeX.

Sorry that I missed the original question. There is indeed a TeX for
on the Macintosh which can convert MS-Word and/or MacWrite (and probably
some others too). It was written by FTL Systems, Toronto, Ontario,
Canada and I think its name was MacTeX 2.1(???). Since it is now over a
year since I have seen (not used) it last, I guess it only converts
from MS-Word 3.0 (but you can save in 4.0 as 3.0 as well).

Give it a try - it really looked great.

Cheers.../Michael

P.S.: I only know one of the implementors of it, otherwise I don't have
any affiliation with FTL Systems or MacTeX.

| Michael Rys, V. Conzett Str. 34; CH-8004 Zuerich; Switzerland |
| UUCP:  mrys@ethz.UUCP or       EAN:     mrys@ifi.ethz.ch	|
|        mrys@bernina.UUCP       IPSANet: mrys@ipsaint		|
| Voice: +41 1 242 35 87					|
-- Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darueber muss man schweigen. --
       Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus logico-philosophicus