[comp.sources.wanted] Looking for calendar program that lets me fill in events.

betz@marob.masa.com (Tom Betz) (09/08/90)

I'm looking for a calendar generator that lets me create a list
of event descriptions and will print out an 8 1.2 x 11 calendar
containing those events.  A format something like 'pcal', but
with text in the blanks.  It would be even better if it used 17.5
CPI spacing in a landscape format.

Has anyone written some such for Unix?  If not, is there a
shareware or commercial MS-DOS program that will do this?

Thanks.
--
-----------------------------------------------------| hombre!marob!upaya!tbetz
"Ever since the fateful day when Al heard about      |

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (09/08/90)

In article <26E814A6.65B8@marob.masa.com> betz@marob.masa.com (Tom Betz) writes:
>I'm looking for a calendar generator that lets me create a list
>of event descriptions and will print out an 8 1.2 x 11 calendar
>containing those events.  A format something like 'pcal', but
>with text in the blanks.  It would be even better if it used 17.5
>CPI spacing in a landscape format.
>
>Has anyone written some such for Unix?  If not, is there a
>shareware or commercial MS-DOS program that will do this?

Have you taken a look at (/pc/pd2/)an131.zip, which is available by
anonymous ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa, Finland.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

ted@eslvcr.wimsey.bc.ca (Ted Powell) (09/11/90)

In article <26E814A6.65B8@marob.masa.com> betz@marob.masa.com (Tom Betz) writes:
>I'm looking for a calendar generator that lets me create a list
>of event descriptions and will print out an 8 1.2 x 11 calendar
>containing those events.  A format something like 'pcal', but
>with text in the blanks.  It would be even better if it used 17.5
>CPI spacing in a landscape format.

But that's exactly what pcal does! Make a file like the following, put
it in your home directory with the name calendar, and run pcal.

9/3* Labor Day
9/7 5:15pm Drinks Night
9/12 7:30pm Play Reading

Pcal's default page orientation _is_ landscape.
As for 17.5 CPI, I suppose you could get the letters that big by tweaking
the source, but I don't see how that's "even better" -- actual size is
more like 36 CPI.

Pcal wraps long lines on word boundaries with a small indent on wrapped
lines. Six lines fit nicely within a day's rectangle. (If you squeeze in
a few more lines for the same day, they overlap the day number, but not
the text, in the rectangle below.) Characters per line depends on the
mix of wide and narrow letters, but is typically forty.

I'm using pcal on a regular basis to print events calendars for a society
I belong to, and it works just fine--especially as the social secretary
gives me the information on disk. :-)
--
ted@eslvcr.wimsey.bc.ca   ...!ubc-cs!van-bc!eslvcr!ted    (Ted Powell)