[comp.sources.wanted] WordPerfect to LaTeX

gisle@ifi.uio.no (Gisle Hannemyr) (10/08/90)

In article <17640001@hplred.HP.COM> curry@hplred.HP.COM (Bo Curry) writes:

>>/ hplred:comp.sources.wanted / gisle@ifi.uio.no (Gisle Hannemyr) /  9:43 am  Oct  4, 1990 /
>>I am looking for a tool that do a reasonable job converting LaTeX
>>manuscripts into the format used by a one of the common microcomputer
>>word processors (preferably Word or WordPerfect) with things
>>like italics, boldface, etc. intact.
> And I'm interested in the inverse problem: Word Perfect => LaTeX.

There is  WP2LaTeX, ver. 1.0 (27-1-1990) written by
R.C. Houtepen (Eindhoven University of Technology).
It will convert WP 5.0 documents into LaTeX.

It looks capable and well written, but is written in
Turbo Pacal 5.0 which means that it is not useful
outside a DOS and OS/2 environment.  I think this
is the main reason for it not beeing much circulated.
It is copyrighted but free.

If you are interested, I can mail you a copy of the
source code and documentation.

Also, if anyone has converted this to C or Unix Pascal
to work on Unix (SunOS), I am _very_ interested in a copy.

--
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my
            employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.

- gisle hannemyr  (Norwegian Computing Center)
  EAN:   C=no;PRMD=uninett;O=nr;S=Hannemyr;G=Gisle (X.400 SA format)
         gisle.hannemyr@nr.no                      (RFC-822  format)
  Inet:  gisle@ifi.uio.no
  UUCP:  ...!mcsun!ifi!gisle

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (10/08/90)

GH> In article <17640001@hplred.HP.COM> curry@hplred.HP.COM (Bo Curry) writes:

GH> There is  WP2LaTeX, ver. 1.0 (27-1-1990) written by
GH> R.C. Houtepen (Eindhoven University of Technology).
GH> It will convert WP 5.0 documents into LaTeX.

How to get wp2latex.arc from the archive at
	Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University:

NOTE: In the following I have assumed your mail address is john@highbrow.edu.

    Of course you must substitute your own address for this. This should be
    a valid internet or uucp address. For bitnet users name@host.BITNET
    usually works.

by FTP: (please restrict access to weekends or evening/night (i.e. between
about 20.00 and 0900 UTC).

    ftp archive.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.5]
    user name: anonymous or ftp
    password: your own email address (e.g. john@highbrow.edu)
    cd /pub
    don't forget to set binary mode if the file is a tar/arc/zoo archive,
    compressed or in any other way contains binary data.
    get TEX/wp2latex.arc

by mail-server:

send the following message to
mail-server@cs.ruu.nl (or uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf):

    begin
    path john@highbrow.edu
    send TEX/wp2latex.arc
    end

The path command can be deleted if we receive a valid from address in your
message. If this is the first time you use our mail server, we suggest you
first issue the request:
    send HELP
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.